What's new

woud you buy an iPhone 5 now or wait?

mach1man

Reaction score
Ok so I'm in a lol pickle.. I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 5 this upcoming week. Problem is I have to buy it off contract so the big question is should I just wait for the 5s or plunge into the 5? Also what's weighing in is that when I do this I'm gonna sell my HTC 8x, which right now sells for about $400 so I'll get most of my money back. If I wait till may/june for the 5s, my 8x may only be worth $200. What do you all think?

I'm goin for it this week because LTE finally opened up in my city and I will really benefit from that.

Like you I'll get a nice price for my 4S on eBay now that it's unlocked. I'd go for it. Even though the 5S will be double what the 5 is - the 5 is double what the 4S is in terms of just about everything. Just jump in. I'm gonna! ;)

Yea its a tough call. I'm gonna look at best buy bc I think they have something that will guarantee an X amount when trading in with in 6 months to a year
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Who says the 5S (or whatever the next gen. iPhone is called) will be available in May/June?
Most Rumour sites have been reporting Apple returning to their original June new phone schedule like 2G, 3G and 3GS and even 4 I think. 4S an 5 were the first fall releases.

Well its what I've been reading on the net

Everybody... we can't always believe what we read on the Internet. So, basing how you're going to buy/sell/trade your phone for a different one based on rumored reports is sketchy, at best... IMO of course.

I understand we can't rely on rumors but apple did release the S like six months or so after the 4 was released

Everybody... we can't always believe what we read on the Internet. So, basing how you're going to buy/sell/trade your phone for a different one based on rumored reports is sketchy, at best... IMO of course.
That is generally a correct statement and one I subscribe to for sure. But some places are more than just "sketchy" Internet sites. MacRumors has nailed the timing of the release of every iPhone since the 3G. They have "inside" information that other places don't. If MacRumors says it you can go to the bank on it in my experience with them. The 5S will be released on the original Apple release time for iPhones in June. (I hope) :)

Last edited:
At some point you're going to have to pull the trigger, or you'll fall into the waiting for the latest iPhone trap and never actually upgrade because of the worry about your phone being superseded by a newer model shortly after you buy it. Whatever works best for you from a financial and personal position is what you should do.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger. Went to best buy today unfortunately they were sold out so they are shipping one in from another store hope to have it by Thursday!! :)

Got my 5 today. So thin. I was not prepared for how light it is. My micro to nano SIM adaptor comes Thu. As much as I love this new 5 - it's just a child's dull toy without being Jailbroken. Can't stand the stock look. Darn Apple for insisting on locking us down. :(.. But when the JB comes available on this bad boy - wow - what fun !