What's new

Wish me luck!

jamiejjorge

Reaction score
So...after a little pep talk from a friend, (plus seeing how helpful everyone was in this forum) I've decided to jailbreak my iphone 4...tonight is the night. Wish me luck! :)

Good luck. But trust me, it's not as hard as it sounds. :)

What version of iOS is your phone at? The reason I ask is because if your not at the current version (4.3.3) the safest thing you can do is save your SHSH files first. This is the only way to revert back down from an upgrade if something was by chance to mess up. If your already at 4.3.3 don't worry about this as much. The program you will use to save these files is called TinyUmbrella. You won't need this program for the actual jailbreak though.

What version of iOS is your phone at? The reason I ask is because if your not at the current version (4.3.3) the safest thing you can do is save your SHSH files first. This is the only way to revert back down from an upgrade if something was by chance to mess up. If your already at 4.3.3 don't worry about this as much. The program you will use to save these files is called TinyUmbrella. You won't need this program for the actual jailbreak though.

I'm running 4.2.8...Am I way behind? I'll def. have to look up a step by step. I've really only looked into reasons to jailbreak, not so much the process itself. So this will be a little tricky for me.

4.2.8? Ah i see. You have a Verizon iPhone 4. I'm up in canada where there isn't any CDMA iPhones. That version "might" be the most current for Verizon but do your own research. But either way still use tinyumbrella first yo Dave SHSH, then proceed with the JB. You may have to use a program called Snowbreeze to do your JB. If you are trying to do the JB on a PC or Mac will change things as well.

I'm going to JB with a Mac. Any recommendations as to which guide to follow? I could always youtube it...

I used a pretty easy YouTube video that showed me how to do everything step by step. Surprisingly I didn't run into problems! :) now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with this thing! Thanks for the help.

tengborleng said:
is it worth it?

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider it worth it. Personally one of the main "dislikes" I had with the iPhone was that it lacked the customization...this obviously took that issue off the table now that I have added a theme, tap to unlock, etc. I also was lucky enough that I didn't run into any issues while jailbreaking. The entire process took about 15 min. Which includes the time to add all my songs, contacts, etc. Back onto my phone. I'm sure had I run into issues I would have maybe considered throwing in the towel, but so far I'm extremely happy with it. If it allows me to create a wifi spot without getting charged...I'm pretty sold on the idea!

Yes u can get mywi from cydia, i'm not using that app but i think that it can allow u to provide wifi to your other devices right from your phone.

I'm still jailbroken on 4.2.1 and I don't want to update and possibly mess up my jailbreak and the installed packages. That's how much it's worth to me.

I'm still jailbroken on 4.2.1 and I don't want to update and possibly mess up my jailbreak and the installed packages. That's how much it's worth to me.

Well i wouldn't upgrade either if i'm happy with the present iOS so far as there is no big big new features in the latest iOS except bug fix.
But if the jailbreak packages, sources, installed apps are only your problem, you can get pkgBackup or APTbackup, or Xbackup from cydiato backup all your cydia repo, sources, app & tweaks, settings everything related to cydia. I recommebd you to use 2 of those backup apps to be on the safer side incase one doesn't work the second will work. After upgrading your iOS and after jailbreaking it, go to cydia and download and install those backup tools you have used to backup your cydia stuff. Use any one of them to restore, you will need to have a good internet connection, and have the screen of the device on (set lockscreen time to nevet) the restore can takes some times, all depending on the amounts of repos you was having, the amount of apps & tweaks you was having installed on the device. I restored my cydia tweaks and apps doing this and it works great, i lunch the restore and went to sleep, the following morning when i get up, my phone was just like before.

I used a pretty easy YouTube video that showed me how to do everything step by step. Surprisingly I didn't run into problems! :) now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with this thing! Thanks for the help.

What's the link to this Youtube video that showed you how to do everything step by step and it was so easy that you were able to do it? I am very curious due to the fact everywhere I turn I always wind up with a link that's broken or the page is missing, or....

By the way, did you jailbreak your Verizon iPhone v 4.2.8 using a Mac or a PC because I own a Mac.

Thanks!