What's new

Wireless sync

mrbeal

Reaction score
This is a two part question. First, can I sync with iTunes without hooking up to the computer? Second, do I need to sync with iTunes? Thanks in advance.

This is a two part question. First, can I sync with iTunes without hooking up to the computer? Second, do I need to sync with iTunes? Thanks in advance.
First.. Your device must be updated w/ iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 to utilize wireless syncing. The sync works over wifi... so the computer w/ your iTunes account must be connected to the same wifi in order to since wirelessly.
Second.. No, you don't "need" to. However... many, including myself, will strongly recommend syncing w/ iTunes. Wither it be w/ direct connection to the computer or wirelessly. When you sync it creates a backup of all your information... pics, texts, apps, contacts, ect... and allows you to restore them to your phone in case something unfortunate should happen.

thomasjtsi said:
First.. Your device must be updated w/ iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 to utilize wireless syncing. The sync works over wifi... so the computer w/ your iTunes account must be connected to the same wifi in order to since wirelessly.
Second.. No, you don't "need" to. However... many, including myself, will strongly recommend syncing w/ iTunes. Wither it be w/ direct connection to the computer or wirelessly. When you sync it creates a backup of all your information... pics, texts, apps, contacts, ect... and allows you to restore them to your phone in case something unfortunate should happen.

+1, but I will have to say the iCloud backup has been great for me. I've transitioned to using the iCloud backup. I've tested this method about 5 times. Every restore from my iCloud backup has been flawless. The best thing is my phone backs itself up at night via wifi. Every night.
This is a lot more convenient IMO. I used to backup everyday via iTunes and the iCloud backup has made it much easier on me.
I'm glad Apple introduced this new feature. :)!!

Thanks for the replies. My phone is the 4s, brand spanking new so it's up to date software wise. After I got the phone I did realize that I can do it all wirelessly either to the computer or to the cloud. I'm thinking I'll probably just go ahead and upgrade my cloud space so I can have my backups there and easily accessible - my computer is off most of the time. I do have to say that the wireless sync is a REALLY cool feature. Way to go Apple - getting into the 21st century and actually using wireless technology!