What's new

Wired Network

MisterFish

Reaction score
I just bought the missus an iPhone5. When she is out and about she can connect to the net via cellular connection or using one of the wi-fi zones in cafes etc. At home we don't have a wi-fi broadband system we have an ethernet wired one. For some good practical reasons, (too long to go into but trust me), I can't have a wi-fi setup. There must be a way for her iPhone to connect to our network surely. I just spoke to Apple helpdesk and they seem to think that this just isn't possible.

Does anyone here have any thoughts as to how I might get a perfectly reasonable device to attach to a perfectly reasonable network?

Cheers
Fish

I don't think there's a way to hard wire an iPhone to the internet. BUT, I believe if you have a wireless networking card on your computer, you can set up an access point, so instead of using a conventional router as a connection point, you'll be using the computer as a connection point. I know that this can be done on Windows 7 and 8. You'll need to open up your Control Panel, go to Network and Internet, then go to Network and Sharing Center. Then under "Change your networking settings", click "Set up a new connection or network". Then click "Set up a new network". Set up a name and password to your new access point, then on your iPhone, find that access point and connect to it. Basically you just turned your computer into a router, and you're getting internet access on your computer from your modem.

Thanks. Unfortunately that creates a wireless access point to the wired network, this can't happen. I am amazed that there isn't some plug in converter device for the lightning cable. It is truely bizzare.