What's new

Wifi sleep policy

kkeller87

Reaction score
Just got my iPhone. Noticed that when i turn the phone on I see the 3G icon on the top bar for a second before it switches to the wifi icon. Isn't the iPhone supposed to use wifi even while the screen is off or phone is sleeping?

Thanks!

Just got my iPhone. Noticed that when i turn the phone on I see the 3G icon on the top bar for a second before it switches to the wifi icon. Isn't the iPhone supposed to use wifi even while the screen is off or phone is sleeping?

Thanks!

the wifi will pretty put itself to sleep while the screen is off. when you press the sleep/wake button it takes a second or so to wake up. nothing wrong with that

So does it do anything that requires a connection while sleeping? Would it then use 3G? What about push accounts?

kkeller87 said:
So does it do anything that requires a connection while sleeping? Would it then use 3G? What about push accounts?

I never got anything push related like emails or updates I believe the screen has to be on for that. But its not using data while it's sleep if that's what u mean

I currently have my gmail acct being pushed and it comes through just fine. Whether the screen is on or not.

Either way I don't think it's a huge deal. The battery life is still phenomenal. I was just curious cause I'm new to iOS

I currently have my gmail acct being pushed and it comes through just fine. Whether the screen is on or not.

Either way I don't think it's a huge deal. The battery life is still phenomenal. I was just curious cause I'm new to iOS

It's alright to be curious. Were all learning

Either on wifi or not, the device will be using 3G/EDGE for any app requiring Internet while the screen is in sleepy mode. I do not specially know about email or other stock apps which came unbuilt with the device, the most of the apps will stop working on wifi once the device goes to sleep mode.

The biggest issue with the WiFi getting turned off during sleep mode is that most WiFi systems require periodic re-authentication. This re-auth can occur due to anything from client roaming to session time-outs to client disassociation. In this case, when the wifi radio is turned off to conserve battery power; it disassociates from the access point. This will require the device to re-authenticate with the wireless.

This is a non-issue when using a layer 2 authentication like WPA/WPA2 Pre-shared key or 802.1X as the key or credentials are cached on the phone and the re-authentication occurs seamlessly in the background without any user interfacing required. In cases like enterprise guest networks, however; where a layer 3 authentication policy is typically used (i.e. Web-Auth or Web-Passthrough), the user must open a browser and re-enter their credentials or re-accept the EULA every time their iPhone comes out of sleep mode.

I have seen in some forums that iOS 4 and/or later revisions will offer persistant WiFi capabilities to prevent issues like this, yet I have not been able to confirm it. As a mobility consultant who deals primarily with Cisco Unified Wireless networks, I am seeing this issue more and more. In the case of one of my larger customers, their campus consists of many old marble buildings where 3g has minimal to no coverage at all. WiFi is the only way for many of the clients to continue to receive emails, etc... Is there or will there be a way to keep the iPhone wireless radio on while the device goes into sleep mode?