What's new

wifi network analyzer app

chubaka

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for an app that will allow me to do a search of wifi networks in an area and tell me things such as; signal strength, channel in use, type of signal, like a,b,g,n. Is there such an animal? I briefly searched the app store and did not come up with anything but I am not sure that my search was exhaustive. I need it for iPhone 5 and don't mind paying. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry. There are no public API calls that allow for this information.

You may find apps for Jailbroken phones that do this, but nothing for a stock iOS device.

I had this on my old 3G ( jail broke ) and it's the only thing I miss... Was called wifi analyser and was so handy, in the uk BT are a big or major supplier of wifi and send out most of their boxes on the same channel, little known fault is that even if you are far away from a box on the same chn it won't let you logon a new device, with the wifi app I have sorted many a friends channels out ...

So it seems like Apple is denying developers from submitting such an app? Surely by now some reputable developer would have gotten the app to the store by now.

In the meantime I found out that, on your Mac, running mountain lion, you can hold down the option key then wifi icon, on drop down menu, look for "open wifi diagnostics" then hit command n. that will open up network utilities. Click on wifi scan. And it searches the area. Provides, network name, bssid, channel, width, band, security, signal, noise, and protocols. That's exactly what I need in an iPhone app

So it seems like Apple is denying developers from submitting such an app? Surely by now some reputable developer would have gotten the app to the store by now.

In the meantime I found out that, on your Mac, running mountain lion, you can hold down the option key then wifi icon, on drop down menu, look for "open wifi diagnostics" then hit command n. that will open up network utilities. Click on wifi scan. And it searches the area. Provides, network name, bssid, channel, width, band, security, signal, noise, and protocols. That's exactly what I need in an iPhone app

Sorry, I guess that was not clear in my post. Without any public API calls to return the details of the wifi signals, there is no acceptable way to develop that app for the iPhone. Apple will not open up those APIs, therefor you won't see that app in the App Store.

Is there any logical reason why apple will not open up those APIs?? I assume there is.

Is there any logical reason why apple will not open up those APIs?? I assume there is.

Not that I've ever heard. I would bet thousands of network administrators would love to use their iOS devices as wireless network analyzes.

If you have a jailbreak , you can now install Wi-Fi analyzer application ,from cydia.
8yjedy3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone