What's new

WiFi Assist.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just found out about WiFi Assist which is on by default in IOS 9.

Its fine if you have an unlimited data plan but for those who haven't you might want to turn it off, It will gobble up your data.

Simply navigate to Settings > Mobile Data then scroll to the bottom of the list and toggle Wifi Assist off.

Good advice. Wifi assist works to automatically switch over to your cell connection if available wifi connections are too weak. Yes, this could gobble up a limited data plan without our realizing it. I've turned it off here. Thanks, Ivy.

Good advice. Wifi assist works to automatically switch over to your cell connection if available wifi connections are too weak. Yes, this could gobble up a limited data plan without our realizing it. I've turned it off here. Thanks, Ivy.
You're welcome.
There are a lot of people out there who don't know about this.

In my opinion Apple should have included this turned OFF by default and then it can be turned on if wanted.

It seems like this is always the way it's worked for me. If I've configured a WiFi connection to connect when I'm within range then the phone uses it. If not, it uses cellular. How does this differ?

It seems like this is always the way it's worked for me. If I've configured a WiFi connection to connect when I'm within range then the phone uses it. If not, it uses cellular. How does this differ?
Suppose you're on a Wi-Fi connection and you're streaming a large movie. Now suppose your Wi-Fi connection, for some reason or another, becomes too weak and the phone automatically switches over to your limited data plan. That movie is going to eat a big chunk of your data plan without you realizing it. This can cause problem for some folks.

Suppose you're on a Wi-Fi connection and you're streaming a large movie. Now suppose your Wi-Fi connection, for some reason or another, becomes too weak and the phone automatically switches over to your limited data plan. That movie is going to eat a big chunk of your data plan without you realizing it. This can cause problem for some folks.
Yes, I understand how it works, but isn't that how it's always worked? At least it is for me.

Yes, I understand how it works, but isn't that how it's always worked? At least it is for me.
I don't know how to explain it any better to you, I just know that Wi-Fi assist is new and is not a good thing. It's best to turn it off.

Okay. I do understand that WiFi assist did not exist until iOS 9. Obviously I'm not making my point, so rather than risk antagonizing someone I'm going to just let it drop here. Have a good one folks. Sorry for any miscommunication.

@DaveM
What you described was normal before iOS 9 (and still is, if this feature is enabled), and for some people it caused problems, but there was no possibility to change this.
What's new in iOS 9x, is that you can change this behaviour now. If you disable Wi-Fi Assist, your iPhone doesn't automatically use the cellular network connection if the Wi-Fi connection is poor.

Last edited:
@DaveM
What you described was normal before iOS 9 (and still is, if this feature is enabled), and for some people it caused problems, but there was no possibility to change this.
What's new in iOS 9x, is that you can change this behaviour now. If you disable Wi-Fi Assist, your iPhone doesn't automatically use the cellular network connection if the Wi-Fi connection is poor.
That's what I was trying to figure out. So it's an option to turn off something that was previously a default behavior. Thanks J.A. Much appreciated.

@DaveM
A beautiful explanation, thank you very much. Until now I've been keeping my phone in airplane mode, with Wi-Fi-enabled, while at home so it doesn't accidentally switch over to my cell connection and cost me overage fees. Very happy that we can now turn this off. Thank you, Apple!

I too lost credit on my iPhone many times even with Mobile Data turned off. All of a sudden I would get a message saying I was out of credit.
This shouldn't happen anymore now.

I was wondering why my data usage has been high lately. Thanks for the tip!