What's new

Who's getting MobileMe ?

techdad2

Reaction score
When setting up the iphone you will have the option to set up a MobileMe account, anyone thinking of purchasing this for $99.00 per yr??

Pros vs cons: are welcome.

When setting up the iphone you will have the option to set up a MobileMe account, anyone thinking of purchasing this for $99.00 per yr??

Pros vs cons: are welcome.

It's $99 a year?! I set it up last night, but I thought it was free! What does it do charge your itunes account?

I believe it's free for sixty days only, and after that it becomes a paid subscription.

I was wondering about that as well, it said free and nothing about being charged after 60 days or whatever.

pffft I wont be paying them a dime! they already got enough of my money lol!

This happened to me for my iPad, I signed up, then 60 days later I was chaged $99 through my iTunes account, had no clue it was trial. I keep my computer, Ipad, and iPhone all synced together with Google sync, works great and its free.

Yup, Google sync here and extremely happy with how it does.

The "Free" part of MobileMe is the locator only (where you can see on a map where your iPhone/iPad is. The $99 a year is for you to set up an account to automatically sync contacts, calendar, etc with Outlook or any other mail program on your computer. The nice thing about MobileMe is if you have multiple iPhones/iPads (or a combination of), you set up one MobileMe account and you can put it on multiple devices (therefore only paying $99 a year for your entire household). I will be getting the service again, I thought it was a great service.

The "Free" part of MobileMe is the locator only (where you can see on a map where your iPhone/iPad is. The $99 a year is for you to set up an account to automatically sync contacts, calendar, etc with Outlook or any other mail program on your computer. The nice thing about MobileMe is if you have multiple iPhones/iPads (or a combination of), you set up one MobileMe account and you can put it on multiple devices (therefore only paying $99 a year for your entire household). I will be getting the service again, I thought it was a great service.

Which functions are you using that you are mentioning MobileMe going across platforms? For file sharing, you can also use Dropbox and the Dropbox apps for carrying files over. That works nicely. Now if you aren't set up on Google and don't want to be, than MobileMe really becomes practical. I'm just spoiled because I had set Google integration up on my computers and phones when I got my Droid and I was able to carry everything over.

I guess the better question would be for those considering MobileMe, what do you want to do? What interactions are you looking for? Might have some easy workarounds for you that can save some money and work just as well.

Which functions are you using that you are mentioning MobileMe going across platforms? For file sharing, you can also use Dropbox and the Dropbox apps for carrying files over. That works nicely. Now if you aren't set up on Google and don't want to be, than MobileMe really becomes practical. I'm just spoiled because I had set Google integration up on my computers and phones when I got my Droid and I was able to carry everything over.

I guess the better question would be for those considering MobileMe, what do you want to do? What interactions are you looking for? Might have some easy workarounds for you that can save some money and work just as well.

I'm not suggesting that they would work across platforms (like iPhone to Droid), I'm suggesting that one account would sync your iPhone(s) and your iPad(s). That's all.

I'm not suggesting that they would work across platforms (like iPhone to Droid), I'm suggesting that one account would sync your iPhone(s) and your iPad(s). That's all.

I apologize if it sounded like I was picking at you. That wasn't the intention. What I was saying is if you set up on Google, you can sync your mail, calendar, contacts and notes between all of your devices off the one GMail account. All you have to do is turn it on with each device.

It's the Apple version - it's more refined and more 'neat.' It's like asking "Why did you buy an iPhone when you can buy an HTC Incredible for $49 and it has the same specs?"

You're buying it because it's an Apple product, it's fully integrated, and is 'cooler'. lol...I'm not dissing it - my iphone is in my pocket as we speak.

I used the trial when i bought my Macbook Pro. It's nice - but not worth $99 in my opinion. To each his own.

I apologize if it sounded like I was picking at you. That wasn't the intention. What I was saying is if you set up on Google, you can sync your mail, calendar, contacts and notes between all of your devices off the one GMail account. All you have to do is turn it on with each device.

No offense taken, I understand you weren't picking on me. I just wanted to clarify what I was talking about.

I do understand what you are saying about Google sync. I guess my position on that is that if I felt that Google was a good setup, I wouldn't leave my Droid to go back to the iPhone. But it is absolutely personal preference and I understand why someone wouldn't want to pay for something that they can get for free.

So I just signed up for not really worrying about much so i'll still have the "find my iphone" going right and won't cost anything?

So I just signed up for not really worrying about much so i'll still have the "find my iphone" going right and won't cost anything?

The "find my iPhone" is a free service. That will not cost you anything.