What's new

When to re-boot?

Myron

Reaction score
I lost my AT&T service completely yesterday for no reason. Google Maps, Safari, App Store,etc. all were dead. As a last resort, I shut-down the phone completely then re-started. Miraculously, everything came back into service. What causes this and why did shutting-down restore the service? Does this happen often? I am a new user. Thanks.

some apps can cause memory issues that you can only solve by soft or hard reboot. Is due to error or misdesign of code. Have seen it with small programs but even big GPS navigation software.

It won't hurt to do your reboot once or twice a year.

It's just like when you computer freezes or starts getting really slow. Its usually down to the the phone getting bogged down and running low on RAM.

I would suggest rebooting at least once a month although its not necessary unless you feel the need to...

I inquired about how often to re-boot. I was surprised by the answer I got from a consultant at the AT & T store. She told me it's a good idea to re-boot twice a week even if the phone is working OK. Without this being done, the unit will slow-down like a PC.

I inquired about how often to re-boot. I was surprised by the answer I got from a consultant at the AT & T store. She told me it's a good idea to re-boot twice a week even if the phone is working OK. Without this being done, the unit will slow-down like a PC.

It won't ever be as slow as a PC..... But if it starts acting strange or sticking that can be solved by a reboot. Some people go months without rebooting some only a few days just personal preference.