What's new

When The Phone Is Shut Off - Restarted

jimt29

Reaction score
I recently jailbroke my iPhone 3GS using absinthe-win-2.0.4 and today I shut the phone off completely and restarted it because it seemed to be running very sluggish.

After about 3 long minutes or so, it came back on but the applications I got from Cydia were no longer working. I haven't tried to reinstall yet but am curious if that is normal behavior?

Just one hack is working and that is the one that adds contact pictures to the contact/phone app. Oops not the contact pictures are gone.

The phone doesn't seem to be sluggish now.

I suspect it is no longer jailbroken because Cydia is not working either. What else might I expect? Is shutting off a jailbroken phone a no no?

Last edited:
You should rejailbreak with Redsn0w, but on the options screen uncheck the "Install Cydia" option and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried jailbreaking a few times and chose Redsn0w but the phone never responded to it. All I got were errors.

The jailbreak I used as noted above was really "plug and play" but only lasted a week or so. However your answer doesn't address my question. Should shutting down the phone remove a jailbreak?

No, shutting down and restarting does not affect a jailbreak unless you've messed up some startup files which is possible while you are jailbroken.

There where a few rocky raccoon updates in cydia in the past week and if you had not updated you probably should have before you restarted your phone. I believe some of those updates dealt with some jailbreak stability issues.

Make sure you fix your hosts file before attempting a re jailbreak.

No, shutting down and restarting does not affect a jailbreak unless you've messed up some startup files which is possible while you are jailbroken.

There where a few rocky raccoon updates in cydia in the past week and if you had not updated you probably should have before you restarted your phone. I believe some of those updates dealt with some jailbreak stability issues.

Rocky Raccoon updates?

Fix host files? I do get errors when Cydia runs but I tried to find and remove but can't find the source so I can't remove them. See below:

View attachment 6994

How does anyone update or fix a host file with the phone OFF? Not that I would know how even if the phone was on.

Cripes......this is like pulling teeth. Where on the computer, what are the little devils names, and how do you check/fix/adjust them? What program are the associated with?

C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/HOSTS

You can edit it with notepad running in administrator mode, just make sure there are no references to gs.apple.com

Thank you very much. I checked the Hosts file. No reference to anything. Every line had a # sign in front. I suspect that means a comment?

How the heck did you find/learn that stuff?????