What's new

When the iPhone 5 comes out, will prices for the iPhone 4 drop?

Hoklidays

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy another iPhone soon (old 3G just isn't cutting it, plus half of the screen is out), and since it doesn't sound like Apple is bringing the iPhone 5 to T-Mobile, I'm most likely going to buy an iPhone 4 off of craigslist. Right now, the prices generally hover around $300-$400 for most. Now, once the iPhone 5 comes out, do you think that sellers on craigslist will drop their prices or no?

i doubt it. if they do, it wont be much at all. the iphone 4 is still a hot seller.

I have a quick question that kind of relates. We were thinking of upgrading our daughter to an iPhone for her birthday. Now if we do the 3GS it is free. If we do the 4g it is $150. Do you think it would be best to go with the 4g?

reamom said:
I have a quick question that kind of relates. We were thinking of upgrading our daughter to an iPhone for her birthday. Now if we do the 3GS it is free. If we do the 4g it is $150. Do you think it would be best to go with the 4g?

Youre daughter should be good with the 3GS.

reamom said:

Although i agree the 3Gs is a suitable phone for your daughter, the iphone4 for $150 is a great deal for a phone that has more speed and features. Personally I like my iphone4 so much I am reluctant to upgrade when the iphone5 comes out. I haven't had any problems with the four iphone4 I own. Two of them are for my teenage nieces and the other one is my wife. I'm only telling you that because that age group will test any phone to the enth degree! And my wife can be rough on a phone. A free phone, especially an iPhone is hard to pass up, but if you plan to FaceTime then go with the iphone4. My nieces are in Orlando and the updates of their gerbil are priceless and we like being able to "see" them.

If the iphone5 is what everyone says it is and if I qualify for the upgrade, I will sell my white iphone4 for the upgrade price like I did when the 4 came out. A buyer from Russia bought my iPhone 3G for $189. That means I got this one for $35. (200$ upgrade cost plus 24$ change over fee)

maybe people are crazy for iphone5 but iphone4 also has its market

They might, i would think they will stay some what close to the original pricing only if they dont come out with the 64 gb. I read somewhere that they are only doing 32 and 64 witch if fine by me.

Like anything if there's a lesser demand then the price can drop,if the iPhone5 was such a mass hit and apple started to stop making/distributing iPhone4's then for a time it'd still be reasonable to see 4's @ strong prices.

I've my whitei4 in an otterbox now just for this reason. Since day one! The plastic is still on it too! I have to use speakerphone or earbuds for calls but thats fine. My rear camera resolution is not perfect due to this but to have higher resale value works with me. If I5 releases soon im sellin this badboy full price otterbox included!
Edit: upgrade price +cost of new case wouldn be bad either.

I think they will leave some close to the original price, if they do not come up with 64 GB. I read somewhere, they just do my 32 and 64 in a fine witch. Like anything, if there is a smaller demand, then prices can fall, if iPhone5 is such a palpable mass, Apple stopped production / distribution iPhone4 the period of time, then it is still reasonable, see 4 the @ prices firm.