What's new

What's taking so long?

Reaction score
Ok, so on the 27th of Sept my dad and I went to AT&T to order iPhones for him and another employee of the company we work for (I just went cause I know more of what I'm doing when it comes to phones than he does). They ordered 2 16GB iPhone 5's, one black and one white. They told us a the time it would be 2-3 weeks. About a week later my mom and I switched from Verizon to AT&T and I ordered a 64GB iPhone 5 black, and my mom got a 16GB iPhone 5 white. My mom and I have now had our 5's for a week and a half and my dad is STILL waiting on his. It's now been over 3 weeks. What's the deal with this? I've called AT&T and apple and been to the AT&T store. All of them say there's no way to know when they'll ship. I find this to be a little ridiculous. Will it even be 2012 when he sees his phone?

Ok, so on the 27th of Sept my dad and I went to AT&T to order iPhones for him and another employee of the company we work for (I just went cause I know more of what I'm doing when it comes to phones than he does). They ordered 2 16GB iPhone 5's, one black and one white. They told us a the time it would be 2-3 weeks. About a week later my mom and I switched from Verizon to AT&T and I ordered a 64GB iPhone 5 black, and my mom got a 16GB iPhone 5 white. My mom and I have now had our 5's for a week and a half and my dad is STILL waiting on his. It's now been over 3 weeks. What's the deal with this? I've called AT&T and apple and been to the AT&T store. All of them say there's no way to know when they'll ship. I find this to be a little ridiculous. Will it even be 2012 when he sees his phone?

They may very well know and just aren't going to tell you. Has your dad callled? No shipping date at all is an unacceptable answer.

I'm pretty sure AT&T is like Verizon in the fact that they would only discuss that type of stuff with either the owner of the account or a manager of the account. If you aren't one of them, you aren't going to get far.

Now if your dad is the one who's concerned about it then he needs to call customer service and escalate until he gets some type of answer. I don't know if you're an adult or not but if you are and even if you have a phone yourself on the account doesn't mean they will give you information.

I don't know what's taking so long but I'm having the same problem. Parents ordered 16GB white iPhone for me on September 24th through Verizon. Verizon said I'd have it by today (October 19th). I called Verizon on the 16th hoping to get a tracking number only to be told to now expect it to ship November 2nd. Very, very frustrating. I cannot understand 1 month+ delay.

hookbill said:
They may very well know and just aren't going to tell you. Has your dad callled? No shipping date at all is an unacceptable answer.

I'm pretty sure AT&T is like Verizon in the fact that they would only discuss that type of stuff with either the owner of the account or a manager of the account. If you aren't one of them, you aren't going to get far.

Now if your dad is the one who's concerned about it then he needs to call customer service and escalate until he gets some type of answer. I don't know if you're an adult or not but if you are and even if you have a phone yourself on the account doesn't mean they will give you information.
No I'm 22 lol (23 in about 2 weeks), and I'm pretty much the person who set up the account. My dad is the main contact on the account, since its actually under the business name, but when I call in I just tell them I'm him since I have the account #, billing address, fed tax ID #, pin...you name it. But the best answer I've gotten so far has been from a girl at apple who said that one major reason is because they rushed the phones out so fast because they were getting so far behind that they weren't taking care of them and they're coming back with scratches screens and other issues. So you have all the orders that they were behind on to begin with, plus all the phones they messed up and are having to replace, then add on top of that the fact that they're making them slow down their pace in order to make sure they're taking better care of them on their way out the door.

sittingwaitingwishin said:
I don't know what's taking so long but I'm having the same problem. Parents ordered 16GB white iPhone for me on September 24th through Verizon. Verizon said I'd have it by today (October 19th). I called Verizon on the 16th hoping to get a tracking number only to be told to now expect it to ship November 2nd. Very, very frustrating. I cannot understand 1 month+ delay.
Yeah that's why, despite the most logical BS reasons they've tried to feed me so far, I still don't get how in the world we ordered our phones about 1-2 weeks after everyone else and we got them in the mail pretty much within 7 days. I know people that ordered on launch date that didn't make it before they sold out and still haven't gotten theirs yet. I think apple has a lottery machine in there randomly deciding who gets the next batch.

One excuse I got for calling in on the status of my friends 5 was that they didn't get the full delivery and was one unit of shipment short. I called an hour later and another rep told me they weren't expecting it for another 2 months. I mean really? Make it a little more believable

Unfortunately, it seems as though the iPhone 5 order placed on the 27th has been caught in the giant cookie jar of the "Biggest Smartphone Release Demand" ever. Unless you can get a representative of either Apple or your wireless provider to substitute something they physically have in stock for your increasingly drug out order status... you're sadly at the mercy of the system. Hopefully, in the end, you'll receive some type of reimbursement for the troubles it has cuased.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the iPhone 5 order placed on the 27th has been caught in the giant cookie jar of the "Biggest Smartphone Release Demand" ever. Unless you can get a representative of either Apple or your wireless provider to substitute something they physically have in stock for your increasingly drug out order status... you're sadly at the mercy of the system. Hopefully, in the end, you'll receive some type of reimbursement for the troubles it has cuased.

A bugless iOS 6 as compensation? :D

Got mine today the White 5, 32gb which I ordered at my phone shop over 2 weeks ago. But I guess we are in different parts of the world, I am from Australia. So I guess, they are coming.

Got mine today the White 5, 32gb which I ordered at my phone shop over 2 weeks ago. But I guess we are in different parts of the world, I am from Australia. So I guess, they are coming.

Without going into the long story, my iPhone was damaged and even a person who contacted me from executive services was having a bit of a time finding a refurb. Now this is a couple of weeks back and the phone I got backed was perfect so I assume it was somebody who either couldn't handle a smart phone or wanted an Android phone instead.

Still saying we don't know is unacceptable. I bet you wouldn't hear that from Verizon.

I was in Verizon Saturday and per ordered a 64gb white iphone 5 and it is set to shop by 10/26. Some stores locally have 64gb ones in stock. Maybe talk your dad into upgrading and take a 64gb. The girl at Verizon store said people are waiting until mid November for a 16gb one due to demand. Maybe demand is just so high and so many are ahead of your father's order that you can't get a date yet.

I just ordered mine on October 18 and the scheduled delivery is November 9. What worried me is that had I ordered it 2 days earlier, the delivery date would have been November 2!

So hoping that the date doesn't change.

Skimonkey said:
I just ordered mine on October 18 and the scheduled delivery is November 9. What worried me is that had I ordered it 2 days earlier, the delivery date would have been November 2!

So hoping that the date doesn't change.

You'll know if it's being delivered on time when the UPS guy rings your doorbell! The delivery status of my iPhone 5 didn't show as out for delivery until after I had it in my hands.