What's new

What kind of iPhone do I "REALLY" have?

gs_optd

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just recently picked up a 16GB iPhone 3GS for free from a friend of mine. This is my very first iPhone and so far, I like it. Here's the situation: One day, I was trying to get the Bank of America app and I get a pop-up message saying that I need iOS 4.3 - I have 4.2.1. Come to find out that by model number on the back of my iPhone, Model No.: A1241, it's actually an iPhone 3G. I was a bit disappointed, but hey - the phone is free. But under Settings->General->About and iTunes, this phone is the 3GS. This phone is from Indonesia, so I'm guessing this is considered an international phone and is factory unlocked. I see no signs of any custom firmware or jailbreaking. It's able to access the iTunes Store with no problems and take a T-Mobile SIM card just fine.

I was planning on jailbreaking it myself, but I've come to a fork in the road between software and hardware. A lot of the apps in the App Store are more geared towards the newer phones and I can't seem to find another way around it besides jailbreaking it. I would like to upgrade to maybe iOS 5 or iOS 6, depending on what's more efficient for my phone. I'm just confused about what kind of phone I have as I do not want to jailbreak it with the wrong software that's meant for a different phone. So if anyone has ever come across this problem before, any feedback would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

Connect your device into your computer, and open up RedSn0w. On the main screen where it has the "Jailbreak" and "Extra" button, under those 2 buttons there should be a line that identifies your iPhone. If not, you can just click on Extras -> Identify and it'll give you as much information as it can possibly retrieve off of your phone. If your iPhone is indeed a 3G, then we can't help you since the 4.2.1 is indeed the latest firmware for the iPhone 3G. If the iPhone is a 3GS however, then we can help you update to a different iOS with dependencies.

Also, if you use any other kind of identification, sometimes the ID would be something like this

(example of my old iPhone 3GS)
Jon's iPhone2,1_XXXX : That means my iPhone is a 3GS based on the 2,1 after iPhone.

If it's this one, with a 1,2, then it's a 3G
Jon's iPhone1,2_XXXX

When I open up the program, the first screen says Connected: iPhone 3GS (4.2.1, 05.15.04). I click Extras->Even More->Identify, and I get this list of info for my phone. I can't seem to find that certain identification you mentioned. The closest thing I found was this: ProductType: iPhone1,2. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I see a lot of other info that maybe be able to identify my phone. I did a quick google search of my ModelNumber (MB496) and HardwareModel (N82AP) numbers and they both come up as the iPhone 3G.

I'm guessing maybe the person I got it from must have renamed it to iPhone 3GS upon restoring the phone to factory settings(?). I don't know but I think it's safe to say that I do actually have the 3G and not the 3GS. In any case, I appreciate your response willerz2.

Try this. Open up iTunes, shift+restore and point it to an iPhone 3GS iOS IPSW or point it to an iPhone 3G iOS IPSW and see which one gets rejected. If it is indeed a 3G, then iTunes should pop up a window that says this build is not eligible for this device or something along the lines.

Apologies for the late reply - work has been hectic. But I did this and the 3G IPSW was accepted versus the 3GS IPSW which actually actually got rejected. So I guess this confirms it - I have an iPhone 3G. At least now I can be pointed in the right direction as to Jailbreaking it now. Thanks for your help willerz2!