What's new

What is an antenna gate?

iZIGGA

Reaction score
I read something about an antenna gate on another thread here and thought i would ask what is it exactly?

I read something about an antenna gate on another thread here and thought i would ask what is it exactly?
When the iPhone 4 was originally released in 2010.... many users were experiencing dropped calls and complete signal loss. This was because of the antenna configuration around the outside edge of the phone. When a user held the iPhone in their left hand and bridged the lower left gap in the band w/ their skin... it caused the cellular signal to fade in and out.

Haha no worries. Was the reasoning for it working ever explained?
From what I understood out of all of it... it was just a huge proverbial ball drop by Apple. They fumbled around like crazy sending bumpers out to god knows how many iPhone 4 users. Unfortunately, I can't do an internet search w/ Google from my work computer. Hit up "iPhone 4 Antenna Gate" in Google... you can probably read for hours about it.

Haha no worries. Was the reasoning for it working ever explained?

If you mean the antenna gate solution, then Apple pretty much responded with "Your holding it wrong" but in Apples defense, they had a "free case" program that allowed purchasers of the iPhone 4 to get a free bumper/case to solve the antenna gate issue.

There were no hardware changes until the verizon iPhone 4.

From what I understood out of all of it... it was just a huge proverbial ball drop by Apple. They fumbled around like crazy sending bumpers out to god knows how many iPhone 4 users. Unfortunately, I can't do an internet search w/ Google from my work computer. Hit up "iPhone 4 Antenna Gate" in Google... you can probably read for hours about it.

Yes, apples PR did a terrible job of handling the situation.

Although, it didn't seem to bother consumers because they still bought the device like crazy (me included). :)

Although, it didn't seem to bother consumers because they still bought the device like crazy (me included). :)
Yeah, but yours was a CDMA iP4. I ended up w/ a "wonky" (LOL!!) GSM iP4. I always used a case, though. So I didn't have any issues.

If you mean the antenna gate solution, then Apple pretty much responded with "Your holding it wrong" but in Apples defense, they had a "free case" program that allowed purchasers of the iPhone 4 to get a free bumper/case to solve the antenna gate issue.

There were no hardware changes until the verizon iPhone 4.

Glad i only mess with 4 and up :)