What's new

What do folks do about shopping lists?

mkelley

Reaction score
I posted this in the Apple forums, but quite frankly folks are so worried about battery life (which hasn't affected me) that I doubt whether anyone will respond so I thought I'd try it here:

So far I both adore my new 4s as well as Siri but as much as "she" can do I am frustrated by the "not quite there" nature of things.Right now I'm struggling with lists in general, and grocery lists in particular.

I can easily get Siri to add items to a Reminder list, but in practice this turns out to be a poor substitute for a real "grocery list" type program. The main problem is there is no way to clear those things you have bought ("done" in the case of how a list views things). You check things off as you shop, but then you're left with either deleting the entire list or items one by one. If you delete the list you can't have Siri create it for you -- bummer. If you delete the items you need to press the key twice (there is no swipe press delete as there is in things like mail). That's a big PITA.

I can use Notes, and in that case Siri WILL create a new Note for me with the right name, but then you can't check things off as you buy them (and you still have to delete by hand as Siri won't do it for you). It's perhaps a better solution except you can't easily see what you've bought as you shop and have to keep rechecking it.

Compare this to the Windows phone ads -- there the dad is shopping with what looks like a REAL shopping list program. Or, better yet, look at any of the dozens of shopping apps there are at the iTunes store that work great (the bought items can disappear from the list as you check them off). If Siri worked with any of these I'd be in heaven.
Am I correct in thinking that developers can add Siri support to their apps? Find your Friends works with Siri, so I assume this is the case, but perhaps that's the exception that disproves the rule. Or is this just something that will get better as Siri works through beta (which begs the question -- where can we leave feedback for Apple about Siri?)Any ideas are welcomed.

Last edited:
You must get Remember The Milk (www.rememberthemilk.com) - you can create lists for groceries and anything else you want (and as many as you want) to get started.....then there are tons of other features. It is accessible on their website and they have great iphone and ipad apps - which do require a minimal subscription fee. Once you figure this out, it's really easy to change the tasks on Siri from the native "Reminders" to use Remember The Milk. For example, I can tell Siri to remind me to take the trash out on Tuesday at 4:00 every two weeks and that is exactly what it will do!

I posted this in the Apple forums, but quite frankly folks are so worried about battery life (which hasn't affected me) that I doubt whether anyone will respond so I thought I'd try it here:

So far I both adore my new 4s as well as Siri but as much as "she" can do I am frustrated by the "not quite there" nature of things.Right now I'm struggling with lists in general, and grocery lists in particular.

I can easily get Siri to add items to a Reminder list, but in practice this turns out to be a poor substitute for a real "grocery list" type program. The main problem is there is no way to clear those things you have bought ("done" in the case of how a list views things). You check things off as you shop, but then you're left with either deleting the entire list or items one by one. If you delete the list you can't have Siri create it for you -- bummer. If you delete the items you need to press the key twice (there is no swipe press delete as there is in things like mail). That's a big PITA.

I can use Notes, and in that case Siri WILL create a new Note for me with the right name, but then you can't check things off as you buy them (and you still have to delete by hand as Siri won't do it for you). It's perhaps a better solution except you can't easily see what you've bought as you shop and have to keep rechecking it.

Compare this to the Windows phone ads -- there the dad is shopping with what looks like a REAL shopping list program. Or, better yet, look at any of the dozens of shopping apps there are at the iTunes store that work great (the bought items can disappear from the list as you check them off). If Siri worked with any of these I'd be in heaven.
Am I correct in thinking that developers can add Siri support to their apps? Find your Friends works with Siri, so I assume this is the case, but perhaps that's the exception that disproves the rule. Or is this just something that will get better as Siri works through beta (which begs the question -- where can we leave feedback for Apple about Siri?)Any ideas are welcomed.