What's new

Weather Channel Severe Weather Alerts?

DaveM

Reaction score
I installed the Weather Channel app (free version) expecting that it would set off an alert if a severe weather warning was issued for my area. It does show up in the alerts, but I have to actually open the app and check the alerts, which is useless as far as I'm concerned. I want it to give me an audible (and visual would be nice) alert sound when a warning is issued, even if I don't have the app running. Am I missing something, or is this how it's supposed to work? And no, the phone isn't jailbroken.

Read the app review for the full version and see what it provide, i'm sure it won't provide much even with a full version. Apple doesn't really like 3rd party apps wich tend to modify home screen or the notification bar or the device roots files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the app review for the full version and see what it provide, i'm sure it won't provide much even with a full version. Apple doesn't really like 3rd party apps wich tend to modify home screen or the notification bar or the device roots files.

Good point. I checked the pay-for version and it says "Set severe weather Push Notifications for any one location in your favorites list."

This is not a feature of the free version. So can you tell me what "push" means in this case? Does this mean it sets off an alarm notification sound, or does it mean that it e-mails you, or does it mean something else entirely? If it would set off an alarm even if the app isn't running, I would pay for that.

Push notification most of the time means that you will receive a notification when there are updates, the notification can be a badge on top of the application or an on screen notification like the one that shows up when receive a sms etc... But you should be able to handle the way notification behave in settings by pointing to notification. Now as for that specific weather app you are talking about i do not know it and i can guaranty you how it will work out, again, the only way for you to find out about that app is to read the posted reviews by those who already purchase the application, not the review of the application. In app store, once you find your app, scroll down completely, you will see write a review, click on it and you will see review posted by those who purchased the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply bab. I went through enough of the user reviews to decide that no one was writing anything that was going to be of use to me. Most either had some bone to pick, or nothing but blind praise. They weren't really reviews so much as thumbs up or thumbs down. But maybe I'll take another look. Your info regarding push notifications is helpful.

Try weather alert usa. Best one I found so far that works like you want it to by your description. I think it works very well.

Try weather alert usa. Best one I found so far that works like you want it to by your description. I think it works very well.

It does look like exactly what I'm looking for. The reviews are very good too. I'd be willing to spend the $3.99 if it works as it says. I couldn't bring myself to purchase the Weather Channel app. Too many people say it doesn't work the way it should. I'll spend some time reading the reviews and go from there. Thanks phartwig!

It does look like exactly what I'm looking for. The reviews are very good too. I'd be willing to spend the $3.99 if it works as it says. I couldn't bring myself to purchase the Weather Channel app. Too many people say it doesn't work the way it should. I'll spend some time reading the reviews and go from there. Thanks phartwig!

So how does Weather Alert work Dave. I am looking for the same thing. I had it with Weatherbug Elite on my Evo but I bought it for Iphone and there is no option for the alert on my Iphone. Weatherbug Elite does not even show up in notifications.

So how does Weather Alert work Dave. I am looking for the same thing. I had it with Weatherbug Elite on my Evo but I bought it for Iphone and there is no option for the alert on my Iphone. Weatherbug Elite does not even show up in notifications.

I purchased it shortly after my last post on this thread. In the weeks immediately following our area had an unusually high number of severe thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings. In virtually every case the alert went off on my iPhone 30 seconds to a minute (or more) sooner than it appeared on TV.

There are a couple of things about this app that come to mind. First of all, this app won't dazzle you with fancy graphics and a pretty interface, but it provides you with the information in a very straightforward way.
The radar maps choices are a little above me. They're straight from NOAA, and they don't hold your hand. A meteorologist would understand the different kinds, but I just found one that makes sense to me and use it.

The alerts are incredible - dozens of choices of exactly which alerts you want to be active. Note that when setting up the alerts there are 3 different options: off, silent notification, and full audible with that annoying "get your attention" sound that they use on TV and weather radios. I only use the audible for the most severe, immediate threat types. You cycle through those options one at a time with each tap of the alert. It has an option for setting up a Silent Time, so that the alerts won't sound during certain hours, but I don't use it because I want to be alerted of those kinds of threats day or night.

The one thing that I wasn't impressed with was the ease of setup. It took some to figure out how to navigate the settings, and how to make things work the way I wanted to. Their website has a help section for "Configuring Land Forecasts and Events" but the pages for "Event Alert Types" and "Push Alert Notifications" are blank. It's been this way ever since I first got the app so I don't think they have any plans to fix it. I had to just hack my way through it. Still worth it though because it works so well once it's set up.

A few things are a little counter-intuitive. For example, when you're looking at the page with the forecast for the upcoming week, you can't just go to the details for a particular day by tapping on it. It took me a while to figure out that it takes a double-tap to do that. Go figure. As for my needs, I would't trade this app for any other. It was easily worth the money spent. FWIW, I did contact the developer for help once and received detailed information that for some reason they don't put on the website, so if you run into trouble you can expect that they will help. I'll be glad to answer any questions that I can too.

Still happy with Weather Alerts app. We had a tornado warning two nights ago and it let me know in good time. I still wish Apple would allow, at the user choice, for apps such as this to "bypass" the Do Not Disturb function so that it could wake me in the middle of the night, if necessary.