What's new

Waterproof Cases - are you brave enough?

crowd pleaser

Reaction score
Hi,been many discussions about heavy duty protective cases, mines the Griffin Defender others stoutly supporting the Otterbox, not to re-hash their individual merits neither are truly water proof as in for swimming, and the lifebox is expensive

The wife recently bought an Ebook, we are soon going on Holiday, sunny beach, lapping water a few beers and if lucky a snooze, often result in waterlogged devices.

being so pragmatic i skimmed several accessory and auction sites and was quite amazed at how many new cases have come onto the market claiming to be waterproof, some to 10 meters.

ok, lets say i believe the blurb, but trusting it personally is a very different matter. i don't know if be willing to try an expensive device, which if it is damaged i'm clobbered until i get back, but then there's the swimming with dolphins, wale sharks, snorkling, water parks, boating and so on.

One case stating it will safely float if dropped, impressive maybe but i also wonder if the closure given of a sudden and swift death by sinking is actually better for my mental stability than being forced to watch as it float far away out to sea.

I've tried two kinds of waterproof solutions for the iPhone 4, not deep but in one meter of water

- a light and cheap one called "BeachBuoy" and sold by Proporta.co.uk, good, does the jobs and easy to get rifd of

- another one : working too, but difficult to operate , it is the "Amphibian All Weather Case" from Innopocket. You have to keepyour iPhone inside it, but it's really difficult to read the sreen with the sun.

Finally, I prefer the first solution, cheaper and more effficient

Last edited:
The only ultimate waterproof case is the
LifeProof, and yes I do trust it totally.
I always freak out People when I wash off my iPhone in the sink or drop it in a puddle in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net

I always freak out People when I wash off my iPhone in the sink or drop it in a puddle in the rain.

Agreed, I've tested the LifeProof recently and it's the best one !

I have the black Gen2 lifeproof and i trust it completely!!! I havent taken it off my phone since i got it!!!( 3 weeks ago)

I agree the Lifeproof is the very best with little to no bulk like the Defender. Wish their customer service was a bit better, but the case is awesome. I bought the $30 belt clip as well. Right out of the box there was a scratch on the clear material that covers the screen. It is a very straight line and my guess it happened in assembly. Doesn't show much when screen is on, but with it off it looks terrible. Sent email to customer service because they tell you not to return it to the store where it was purchased. Lady was very nice and after submiting proof that I owned the case and the flaw they sent me another face cover. I received it ten days later and they sent the wrong color. Emailed again and now they are sending me a totally new case but want me to return all the others, which I have no problem doing, but I am still waiting for the replacement to show up. Never had issues like this with Otterbox, they handle stuff fast and send it out yesterday. Makes me mad everytime I see that hidious scratch that I paid $120 for. So if you buy one I would check it out in the store before purchasing it, so you can avoid the issues I have had to go through.

ipazol said:

Impressive demo,

the iDry one i bought
http://m.thesportshq.com/idry-water...e=ppc-google&gclid=CIfmzd73lq4CFUINfAoddWr6zg

While it is far more bulky it is re-usable. Easily opened and very protective against drops, it s a generic case so i tested first with paper towel inside, then with the wife's Android LG500 handset before i dared try my iPhone4.

Under water the touch screen won't work, so you had to go into video mode before submerging.

seeing the screen in sunlight was also very awkward, but not the fault of the case.

In line with its overall chunky build there is a substantial lanyard hole, the screen protector area is a pliable membrane, tbh best described has having a consistency and feel of a stretched medical glove. Takes it a bit of getting used to, but for £10 it is effective and imho very good value for occasional use, likely ideal for water sports users like boating.