What's new

Wanting an iphone 4...

Vdr4g0n

Reaction score
Ok currently I have an old nonsmartphone from Tmobile, which is my carrier. I want an iphone, but I can't switch to a carrier who has the iphone. So I want to buy an iphone that can be unlocked to be used for Tmobile, is that correct? If I were to do this what firmware iphone should I buy to be able to do this? I want the iphone 4, so I'd probably be buying it used online.

Also, if i cut my tombile sim card to fit the iphone 4, I can call normally correct? I won't be able to pay extra monthly for data, so could I use the iphone for just calling and wifi for all my extra stuff? I currently do not have text on my plan right now, but if I added it... how will it work on the iphone? I currently text on my 1st gen ipod touch with a texting app in which i need wifi to receive and send texts.

Thanks!

Everything should work just fine. You follow the easy instructions to unlock an iPhone 4. Buy an AT&T one at first online or where ever. From what I understand they are easy to unlock and also Jailbreak and switch to tmobile. Your phone number and texting everything will work. Plenty of instructions and threads all over this site and on the web on general.

Everything should work just fine. You follow the easy instructions to unlock an iPhone 4. Buy an AT&T one at first online or where ever. From what I understand they are easy to unlock and also Jailbreak and switch to tmobile. Your phone number and texting everything will work. Plenty of instructions and threads all over this site and on the web on general.

Okay thanks. I have a few questions though. If I upgraded my bill to have unlimited text, how would that work with the iphone? I know calls will work with ease, but my phone is a normal nonsmart phone. The iphone will be able to text anywhere on the go or will I need to be in a wifi hotspot?

It will include texting. It can text anywhere you want. Just like placing a call. Texting will run on your cellular network anywhere you have bars.

It will include texting. It can text anywhere you want. Just like placing a call. Texting will run on your cellular network anywhere you have bars.

Ok thank you. Is it possible to get an iphone 4 with tmobile? Or is the model to new to unlock/jailbreak? I don't want to buy a model with a firmware that cannot be unlocked. What should I look for when trying to buy an iphone 4?

Buy an iPhone 4 that was on AT&Ts network. They unlock and transition smoothly to tmobile.

If you do not get a data plan just make really sure that when you are NOT on wifi that you do not have any apps open or running that might suck data. I do not know how Tmobile works but on sprint you will get a nice hefty bill if you start sucking data without a data plan. Just be careful and you should be fine....

The #1 thing you'll need to look for is what Baseband (Modem Firmware) the iPhone 4 is on... as this is the determining factor on whether or not it can be unlocked. A BB of 1.59.00 is required for a software (Ultrasn0w) unlock or up to 4.10.01 for a hardware (Gevey Ultra Sim) unlock. With that said, also make sure you're purchasing from a reputible dealer. If purchasing on eBay be sure the seller has a high % feedback score & total. An iPhone can also be purchased through eBay, or other online retailers, and come already Jailbroken (required for the unlock) & Unlocked.

The #1 thing you'll need to look for is what Baseband (Modem Firmware) the iPhone 4 is on... as this is the determining factor on whether or not it can be unlocked. A BB of 1.59.00 is required for a software (Ultrasn0w) unlock or up to 4.10.01 for a hardware (Gevey Ultra Sim) unlock. With that said, also make sure you're purchasing from a reputible dealer. If purchasing on eBay be sure the seller has a high % feedback score & total. An iPhone can also be purchased through eBay, or other online retailers, and come already Jailbroken (required for the unlock) & Unlocked.

If the BB is not 1.59.00 it is impossible to unlock it for tmobile? When I unlock it, do I need a sim card inside the phone at the same time? I'm assuming when I buy it from someone, it won't come with a sim card. I have my tmobile one but it's not a microsim where it would fit in an iphone 4.

If the BB is not 1.59.00 it is impossible to unlock it for tmobile? When I unlock it, do I need a sim card inside the phone at the same time? I'm assuming when I buy it from someone, it won't come with a sim card. I have my tmobile one but it's not a microsim where it would fit in an iphone 4.
1.59.00 is the only iP4 BB that supports the Ultrasn0w software unlock available via Cydia after Jailbreaking. However, you can purchase a Gevey Ultra sim... it'll support the 2.10.04, 3.10.01 & 4.10.01 BB. Those are your only two options as far as Unlocking the iPhone 4 goes. If it has already been updated to iOS5.0+ without preserving one of the aforementioned BB's, then it will have the 4.11.08 BB which is currently not unlockable. Yes, you'll need an At&t Sim to activate the phone. Most people Unlocking their iDevice will purchase (or in some cases aquire a GoPhone Sim from At&t for free) an At&t Sim for the sole purpose of activating the device. With you T-mobile Sim card... it can be trimmed down to fit the iP4's microSim tray. There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube on doing such... not sure if there are any here @ iPF.net though.

Last edited: