What's new

voicemail notification delete red dot

nitewatcher769

Reaction score
I have this voice mail red dot on my phone and it says i should have a voice mail in my inbox, when i know i have deleted everything. but the red dot does not go away. now i do know when i was listening to my messages i had a incoming call and answered the call, but left the message on hold. now the red dot has put itself on hold ...
any help would be great
thanks
steve

Turn your phone off and back on or do a hard reset (press the home button and power button together until you see the apple).

i have deleted all calls in the phone recent spot by hitting the clear button, and all calls have been deleted in voice mail, when on main screen on the phone i did the hold the 2 buttons that mary said, still there and then i also tried in the voice mail screen, thought maybe i had to be in there and still this red button haunts me ..
phone is jail broken if that helps, i am at a total lost.
thank you Icrank for your help too..
i even retried what you and Mary just said..
held the 2 buttons past the swipe to power down till i seen the apple pop up and released buttons and waited till main menu came on
i will try turning winterboard off to see if that helps
thanks again for the help

dial your voicemail again and let it tell you that you have no messages and then hang up and it should go away, this has happened to me before and that seemed to do the trick. You just have to fake the system into thinking you havent deleted it.

sorry jbs06civicsi but nope that has not done it either, i am afraid i may have to do a reset to factory, that is something i really dont want to for i may lose what i have saved parts of the jail break.
again thank you for your help

nitewatcher769 said:
sorry jbs06civicsi but nope that has not done it either, i am afraid i may have to do a reset to factory, that is something i really dont want to for i may lose what i have saved parts of the jail break.
again thank you for your help

Sorry that we couldn't help. You may installed something that makes that happen.

thanks icrank and everyone for your help. i will keep this going for a day or 2 just incase someone has something new to try before i do factory reset
again thank you for everyones help so far ...

I have this problem too.

Here's a workaround: dial your phone and LEAVE a voicemail message (yes leave one!) Then dial back and delete the voicemail you just left. That clears the red dot.

Two other observations when my voicemail is empty:

1) When I reboot the phone, the red dot reappears.

2) When I turn on airplane mode, wait 5 secs, and then turn airplane mode off, I get a notification that I have a new voicemail and the red dot reappears.

My hunch is it's related to iOS and when the Carrier is initialized, iOS thinks there's a voicemail when in fact there isn't. In both cases above, the Carrier (cell network stuff) is off and then gets turned on (initialized.)

Or it could be related to the SIM card... my SIM card is very old (5+ years) so perhaps newer SIM cards are configured slightly different and this error doesn't occur... just a thought.

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.1, unlocked, using T-mobile.

Update: known problem, link says to get a new SIM card, 64K

h ttp://modmyi.com/forums/t-mobile/31930-red-dot-bug-1-1-3-unlocked.html
Or search Google: search?q=red+dot+bug+iphone+tmobile

Last edited:
i want to thank everyone for their help, what i did was took it back to Bell
and they had to delete the voice mail program and reinstall the program.
for some reason the signal to clear the voice mail was never sent to the phone to delete the red dot. again thank you for everyones time on this
nitewatcher

nitewatcher769 said:
i want to thank everyone for their help, what i did was took it back to Bell
and they had to delete the voice mail program and reinstall the program.
for some reason the signal to clear the voice mail was never sent to the phone to delete the red dot. again thank you for everyones time on this
nitewatcher

I'm glad you got your issue fixed. Now you can really enjoy your iPhone like you are suppose to.