What's new

video players review for ios

mstrpeak

Reaction score
Video Players for iphone and ipad review
There are many video players available on AppStore for both ipad and iphone, it’s really hard to choose one among them.
The most famous ones are: RushPlayer, AVPlayer, OPlayer, GoodPlayer, BuzzPlayer, AcePlayer, GPlayer and some other similar ones. This review will compare all listed players from the aspect of Performance(Playback Speed), UI design, rich features, and App maintenance, and give a rating(5 points in total).

1. Performance.
RushPlayer and AVPlayer have obvious better playback speed compared to the others, I have tested mkv, mp4, avi, rmvb, flv on all these players.
RushPlayer and AVPlayer is close on most of these files, RushPlayer stands out on rmvb specially, it even support dual core for rmvb decoding,It’s the only player supporting this.
The other GPlayer, GoodPlayer… have very similar performance as the first version of VLC player(farmiliar? the famous player we know left appstore for some reason), the decoding performanceis OK for normal videos with resolution under 480p, but when it comes to 720p or 1080p, there are obvious lags, the frame rate comes to about 2-4 frames each second, kind of disappointing.
So RushPlayer and AVPlayer are winnersin the performance contest.
RushPlayer : 4.7
AVPlayer: 4.5
OPlayer: 4.0
GoodPlayer, BuzzPlayer, AcePlayer, GPlayer: 3.5

1. UI design.
UI is really hard to comment, people have different tastes, but Good UI designs have their rules, right? Looks simple, nice color combination, beautiful icons, easy to find elements to operate on.
So follow these obvious rules,AVPlayer and RushPlayer should be rated on top of our list. AVPlayer is slightly betterin its color compared to RushPlayer, but it’s your call to tell which one is really better. This two players somehow have the same UI Design in element layout. They all provide rich features of file management.
OPlayer has its style, you may like it, there are big changes in its UI in recent update, choosing white and black as its main color. It took me a while to get my hands on everything, but you will like it when everything is farmiliar. AcePlayer is similar to OPlayer, less better I think.
GoodPlayer ,GPlayer somehow follows the UI style of vlc, very simple list view, for people who like extreme simple design, it’s your dish.
So I will try to give a rate in UI too, you may disagree, welcome to comment:
AVPlayer: 4.1
RushPlayer: 4.0
OPlayer, AcePlayer 3.5
GoodPlayer, AcePlayer, GPlayer, BuzzPlayer 3.2

1. Rich features
A good app must have all other fancy features to make this app easy to use, right? For media players, some features are definitely required. Like Wifi transfer, file management, rich control over video play, subtitle support, audio track switch, configurable for different users, gesture support and many more.
RushPlayer and AVPlayer still seem to lead the rating in their rich features. They have all the functions I listed above, as you use more, you will find how many techs are behind to help playing video easier.One thing need to mention about RushPlayer is that it even supports converting h264 encoded video files to system supported mp4 files. Fast playing and save battery. It’s new in the recent update, still early version, but very promising.
OPlayer is also good. As I mentioned in UI Design, it has ‘complex’ design, mostly because it has many feature s to provide, it must have taken quite some time for the developer to put all things together in such a video player.
The other GPlayer, GoodPlayer are the same in their features, when it comes here, I seriously doubt these players are somehow part of VLC, VLC is open source project, if you can create a new player based on it if you got time and follow some tutorials from your search.
RushPlayer, AVPlayer 4.5
OPlayer 4.4
GoodPlayer, BuzzPlayer, AcePlayer, GPlayer: 4.0

1. App maintenance
The winner in maintenance is GoodPlayer, it’s almost releasing one version each week, although no much big different for most of the versions. At least it’s telling us of its active development.
RushPlayerrelease s less versions than goodplayer, but most update are promising.
AVPlayer has the least update. Hard to complain considering the things it already has.
The other players are similar to AVPlayer, anyway, they are all active.
GoodPlayer, RushPlayer: 4.5
Other players: 4.0

There are more to compare, but you had your impression. RushPlayer and AVPlayer are generally better than the rest. All these players have great potential, thanks to the all these developers for their hard work!