What's new

*Video inside* Help putting 4G back together

Z33Z00

Reaction score
Hello forum! I just joined and need help putting an iPhone 4G together. I bought it off a friend for cheap because he didn't know how to put it together. Basically he cracked his screen, tried to fix it, and couldn't put it back together.

Symptoms:
•Backlight works
•Home button works
•Ribbon for Digitizer missing?

Things it's missing:
•Back Cover
•Sim card tray
•Some screws?

Possibilites:
•New LCD/Digitizer
•New motherboard?

Video:

It's wierd how the LCD/Digitizer screen only has 1 ribbon, is it possible the other one got cut off or ripped? Can I swap the LCD onto the other Digitizer or will I risk damaging the LCD? Don't worry about the battery flopping around in the video, I still have a 3GS but an upgrade would be nice.

Basically what do I need to make this thing working again and if it's minor, I'll just order the parts off eBay or somewhere. I just want to get it functioning as in touchscreen and display, not making phone calls yet. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might be cheaper just to get a real iPhone. The way you are going is very very hazardous, and if you evens scratch one part you're toast. And where you gonna find a motherboard anyways?

Anything and everything I need can be found on eBay. I just want to know what parts I need and what's the easiest way of going about it.

It's a 4G. 4S is too expensive at the moment and I want to fix this one. All it needs some TLC and minimal parts but what should I do to fix it.

First of all you cant just replace the digitizer you have to replace both the digitizer and lcd. Go on youtube and there are videos on complete tear down of the iphone 4. Make sure you buy OEM parts only cuz you will have nothing but problems.

Awesome. Can we try to figure out if I need a new LCD/Digitizer replacement? I have determined for a fact that it is near impossible to separate an LCD from the digitizer if it's OEM due to the superglue they use to seal them together. If that is the case then it's only $30 for a new front. Plus I need a back cover. I might do a color swap and make it white maybe.

You need a new screen which is the digitizer and lcd together. Go to ifixit.com and take a look.

Since the backlight works, does that mean the LCD works? How come I can't see anything. You are right 100% by telling me I need a new digitizer because the ribbon is gone completely... But how come there is a backlight if the LCD doesn't show anything at all? That's why I'm thinking it needs a new motherboard.

Z33Z00 said:
Since the backlight works, does that mean the LCD works? How come I can't see anything. You are right 100% by telling me I need a new digitizer because the ribbon is gone completely... But how come there is a backlight if the LCD doesn't show anything at all? That's why I'm thinking it needs a new motherboard.

Yeah it's because of the motherboard. Are you missing the motherboard or is it still in there?

Yeah it's because of the motherboard. Are you missing the motherboard or is it still in there?

The motherboard is not missing. In fact, it works and is recognized by iTunes when I plug it in via USB. It even asked me to register the iPhone 4 but I just wanted to test it. This shows the motherboard is fine but will it display images on the LCD? We will find out when the new screen gets here...