What's new

Very unusual Safe Mode/boot problem on jailbroken iPhone 4S (evasion)

Stu_M

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone can enlighten me on a little issue I'm currently faced with which has me stumped.

In short:
Jailbroken Iphone 4S running 6.0.1 using evasion a few days back, been working very nicely, made some tweaks using springtomize, installed callbar, GBA emulator etc and have had no issues
turned it off last night, went to start it up this morning, it wouldn't boot, got stuck at Apple boot logo, so held home and lock until the logo went away and held volume up to boot in what I understand is safe mode, however I don't have the usual option at the top of exiting safe mode.

my custom layout has gone back to normal stock layout, it's as if it isn't jailbroken, however Cydia still works, as does icleaner, and many other apps, tweaks like biteSMS and callbar open but don't run the way they should whenever a call or sms is received. I also cannot respring using springtomize, although I can respring if i delete/install something through Cydia which makes it respring automically, though it has no effect.

Springtomize has retained all my settings, they're just not in effect and won't respring

One final point - everything like Springtomize and all the other stuff that shows up among the apps in the settings menu are no longer showing up there

I desperately don't want to restore and lose all my current jailbreak stuff, this is the first issue I've had so hoping there's an easy fix or I'm just missing something very basic, if anyone has any thoughts or can help it'd be much appreciated

Thanks!

Have you tried to reset ("reboot") the phone? The Mobile Substrate safe mode from saurik doesn't give you that line in the status bar, so that's why it's not showing. So, the only clue that you are in that version of safe mode is because everything looks different.

So, maybe a reset/reboot will put it back to rights?

Marilyn

If you're referring to the Safe Mode where it says "Safe Mode" on the status bar, but does not present a little message that allows you to Restart, then you can use Activator if you have it installed. If you have Activator installed, and you're approached with this again, simply open up your Settings, then go to Activator, and it'll say that Activator cannot run in Safe Mode, and will have to respring before you anything can happen again. Tap OK and it'll respring, that way, you won't have to uninstall something in Cydia and reinstall. That's most likely an incompatibility issue with your device.

if i read your comment right then you need to go back into cydia and reinstall mobile substrate . when you push the volume up and power button it goes into safe mode, the only way out of this it seems is to reinstall mobile substrate.

Don't believe it's a MobileSubstrate problem. I had the problem crop up when I had Auxo installed. After removing it, it was fine. In the case of Auxo, it was leaking memory, so once it hit 0, the springboard would crash, and enter safe mode without the option to restart. I would manually kick it out using the Activator method and it would work fine. It would happen periodically, mostly when I'm toggling my music control using Auxo.