What's new

Verizon Wanted Siri to be Android-Only

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
2607-iphone-4s.JPG

According to AppleInsider today, Apple’s voice-controlled assistant Siri almost ended up as an Android-exclusive! The news comes via a very interesting article in The Huffington Post all about Siri’s origins, called Siri Rising, by Bianca Bosker. In the article, Bosker reveals that Verizon had even signed a deal with Siri in fall 2009, just before Apple snapped up the company. If Verizon’s deal had gone ahead, AppleInsider says that it would have used Siri as a built-in app for Android phones on the Verizon network, exclusively. Apparently there are even TV commercials still in existence that show Siri running exclusively on Android, which shows how far along Verizon’s plans were, before Apple came along and bought Siri and made the feature Apple exclusive, going on to launch it with great success at the end of 2011, built into the iPhone 4S. It is now also available on iPad and iPod touch.

[FONT=&quot]Source: [/FONT]Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase

SIRI RISING: The Inside Story Of Siri's Origins -- And Why She Could Overshadow The iPhone

So funny to read this. Cause Apple makes it seem as it was all their idea. I even thought google copied apple when google now was introduced. I personally use my google now over Siri on my iphone.

Last edited: