What's new

Verizon tells me.....

topgun80

Reaction score
that if I upgrade to 5 that I MUST give up my unlimited data plan for a 2G plan at the same price!! What kind of BS is that!!! Is this the "new deal" from Verizon or was my salesman incorrect?

Yup. Unfortunately that's how it's gonna be. The only way around it is to either by outright or use upgrade for a different line and transfer the phone over.

Yup. Unfortunately that's how it's gonna be. The only way around it is to either by outright or use upgrade for a different line and transfer the phone over.
I can do that. My wifes non-smart phone is due for upgrade and my Iphone4 is not. They said I could use her upgrade. I wanted to give her my old iphone but then they want $60 for 2 data plans at only 2gig each. What a rip off!! I'm no big fan of Verizon and both contracts will be up in Oct. Wonder what the other carriers have to offer?

topgun80 said:
I can do that. My wifes non-smart phone is due for upgrade and my Iphone4 is not. They said I could use her upgrade. I wanted to give her my old iphone but then they want $60 for 2 data plans at only 2gig each. What a rip off!! I'm no big fan of Verizon and both contracts will be up in Oct. Wonder what the other carriers have to offer?

im in the same boat with verizon... im really not happy about it... i dont want to go back to att and i dont want to go the sprint route but it comes down to do i want better lte coverage in which i stick with verizon or do i go for a truly unlimited plan and go with sprint

Before you think of going to sprint check your areas coverage and data speeds. Sprint where Im at is atrocious and its why i left. Their data speeds in the Detroit area averaged 70kbps. It may be unlimited but its definitely not usable.

Verizon will let you keep your unlimited data however there is a catch.

You can keep your unlimited but only if you pay full retail for any new device you own. Forget the link to their official statement about this but if you google it you can find it.

wingzfan61 said:
Before you think of going to sprint check your areas coverage and data speeds. Sprint where Im at is atrocious and its why i left. Their data speeds in the Detroit area averaged 70kbps. It may be unlimited but its definitely not usable.

i live ten minutes from philly most of my family and friends have sprint and it seems to be pretty decent for them

ChiTownTx said:
Verizon will let you keep your unlimited data however there is a catch.

You can keep your unlimited but only if you pay full retail for any new device you own. Forget the link to their official statement about this but if you google it you can find it.

yeah they told me that but idk if i wanna do that because im not 100% sold on the iphone 5

That is misleading there, if you have a line with unlimited data that is available for an upgrade and you use that upgrade, you will lose the unlimited data package. the only way to not lose the unlimited data is to activate the phone without using an upgrade.

If pre-ordering through Verizon you can pay full retail by selecting the month to month option to get the phone and then activate on the line of choice when you get it. Or purchase phone from other means (ebay, craigs list, friend, etc) and again, activate on your line of choice.

(*edit)
It is somewhat accurate in my scenario, I am going to pre-order the iP5 using a someone else's (family member) account that has an upgrade available but does not utilize a data package and has no plans to. Then when the phone arrives it will be activated on a line from my account with no changes to my plan. Therefore I will get to keep my unlimited data plan as is and the other account will re-new for 2 years but not have the data enacted since the phone on it dosen't change from being the non-data device that is currently in use. I hope that made sense.

I have confirmed this with a couple of different Verizon reps, online chat from website and in store.

Last edited:
That is misleading there, if you have a line with unlimited data that is available for an upgrade and you use that upgrade, you will lose the unlimited data package. the only way to not lose the unlimited data is to activate the phone without using an upgrade.

If pre-ordering through Verizon you can pay full retail by selecting the month to month option to get the phone and then activate on the line of choice when you get it. Or purchase phone from other means (ebay, craigs list, friend, etc) and again, activate on your line of choice.

(*edit)
It is somewhat accurate in my scenario, I am going to pre-order the iP5 using a someone else's (family member) account that has an upgrade available but does not utilize a data package and has no plans to. Then when the phone arrives it will be activated on a line from my account with no changes to my plan. Therefore I will get to keep my unlimited data plan as is and the other account will re-new for 2 years but not have the data enacted since the phone on it dosen't change from being the non-data device that is currently in use. I hope that made sense.

I have confirmed this with a couple of different Verizon reps, online chat from website and in store.
This sounds close to my situation. My wife is due for upgrade now, no data pkg. I'm told I can get the 5 on her upgrade. So can I activate the new phone on her line which currently has no data pkg and keep my unlimited pkg.? Then when my ip4 is due for upgrade, I can get her a non smart phone with no data on 2 yr. contract? What about switching the phone numbers?

You won't get unlimited with AT&T, they don't offer it any more. If you had unlimited back in the iPhone 3G days and you have upgraded to newer iPhones only they allowed you to keep unlimited and be 'grandfathered'. I imagine sooner or later they will do away with the 'grandfathered' plan; currently if you change anything in your voice plan you lose it so you have to be really careful when adding lines and what not becuase once the change is made there is no way for the reps to undo it.

Verizon told me if I buy phone out right to keep my unlimited it will only be 3G

Verizon told me if I buy phone out right to keep my unlimited it will only be 3G

Hrmm now that i think about it that's probably right. When i last upgraded my phone to a 4G device i remember having to swtich to the new unlimited 4g data plan from the 3g unlimited. Also remember VZW's big promo to get people to switch from a 3g phone to a 4g before the unlimited ended to get grandfathered in. Even back then the 4g package was a different option on sign up than the 3g package.

I have no doubt vzw will screw you on the 4G data plan. Mainly because they will say your grandfatherd in to the 3G plan. =/ Which sucks because if people plan on getting this phone and it's their first 4G phone you will soon find yourself going through waaay more data than you used too. I have a Droid Razr and ever since getting a phone with 4G i use it for everything. It really is that much faster. Switching to Sprint may be the better option due to unlimited data however it will be a good year before they get their LTE network stable. Honestly unless the iphone 5 is something you "must have now" you may be better off waiting to pick it up a year down the road. Or at least wait for one of VZW's data promo's. Sometimes they offer the tiered data deals at half cost. With xmas coming up i wouldn't be surprised to see that promo pop up again soon.

I just gave up the unlimited, its not that big of a deal. I don't know anybody who uses 2 gigs of data in a month anyways. And I use the internet constantly lol.

poeticvibez07 said:
im in the same boat with verizon... im really not happy about it... i dont want to go back to att and i dont want to go the sprint route but it comes down to do i want better lte coverage in which i stick with verizon or do i go for a truly unlimited plan and go with sprint
Verizon is ripping people off I believe if you're gonna get the 5 to watch Netflix and all that unlimited is best cause I have AT&T and 3G I almost pass a few times. These companies gotta stop being cheap & let anyone have unlimited & just pay a extra 20 dollars for unlimited with any company.
***Moderation Notice***

Last edited by a moderator: