What's new

Verizon iPhone loses signal randomly

tcaldwell20607

Reaction score
My VZ iphone loses service completely and says "Searching.." or "No Service" at random periods throughout the day. My wife's phone does the same. I've reset the phone but no luck. I took it to an Apple store and they found corrupted software and replaced the phone but now I'm having the same issue again. I haven't even had time to hook up the replacement phone to my computer yet. Anyone else having a similar problem? I live in Atlanta and normally have 4-5 bars of service.

Man, that sucks. I have not experienced this.

Are you on the phone when your signal goes out? If so, does it only go out if you are on the phone, or does it just lose signal randomly throughout the day ??

It definitely does suck. I am not on the phone when I lose signal. I have never had a dropped call. After calling Apple once again they are telling me that the iPhone is very sensitive to power lines. They say that because I live within 1000 feet of the lines that it is interfering with the signal. There's basically nothing that they can do about it. Verizon says I can get a signal booster for my home but it's $250. I'm thinking of just going back to my blackberry. Never had any issues with it.

The line they tried to say that it's due to power lines is complete BS...guaranteed.

I do a lot of work in substations, and don't have a problem with signal strength. Just this week I was in a station with both 138kV and 345kV bus work and lines.....and a LOT of it and no more than 150 feet away from it at all times while I was in the station. Full signal all day.

Heck, I haven't seen my phone lose signal yet in the few weeks since I switched from AT&T to Verizon.

I have the SAME problem. It is very annoying. I don't live near any power lines and I have nearly full strength in my house, but I still lose service and the phone goes into "searching" mode, which then requires a reboot to regain service.

I haven't taken my phone in because it is jail broken... I should prob just restore it and take it in and see if I can get a new one.

My provider has plenty of coverage here. My old blackberry gets a full signal sitting next to the new iphone. I've had the phone replaced by Apple and I still have the same problem. Neither Verizon nor Apple really seem to care all that much. Go figure.

I am using a rubber case. That shouldn't stop it from finding service again after it is lost. That sounds like a software issue to me...

I had some drop calls when i used my i4 right out of the box. Once i put on a case it never happened. Either you try a different case or just go back to the Verizon Store to report/exchange.

We are not talking about a few dropped calls here-- we are talking about a total loss of service until the phone does a hard reboot. The case has nothing to do with it.

Anyways, I went to my local apple store and they ran their diagnostics and found nothing, but they gave me a new phone. So we'll see how this one goes...

I am in ATL as well, and this happens all the time. I travel quite a bit, and when I am not in ATL, I do not have the problem.....I do not live near powerlines, and am considering going back to Berry as well.

I have heard that VZW is messing with the network in preparation for LTE....but either way, this is so bad, that I cannot use the phone.

For everyone having signal problems, 1st do a hard reset by holding the home key and the top sleep key at the same time until the phone shuts down.
2nd, power back on the phone, if this does not fix the issue then we need to check the PRL.
Some verizon phones dont like some of the Hybrid PRL's, for example, I had a samsung convoy and it would lose signal, jump between 1x and EVDO and back to no service.
Once I had verizon put a block on the hybrid PRL and updated to a native Verizon PRL the phone worked fine.
On the I phone, open the dialer screen and press *#5005*4357# and hit call, on your screen will be PRL Version= ***** with the stars being numbers
The current Verizon PRL is 52257 and the Hybrid is 65210.
My I phone had 65193 and worked fine until I updated to 65210 and then it went haywire.
I asked verizon to block the Hybrid and then updated my PRL to the native verizon one.
You update your PRL by dialing *228 and selecting option 2
I also did a hard reset on my iphone.'
I am no longer having these issues with my phone.
Try a hard reset first and then if that doesnt work ask verizon to block the hybrid PRL and then update to the verizon native one, and see if that cures the problem.

I live in Grand Rapids, MI and have the SAME issue. I'm also on my 2nd phone. The first phone started doing it on my 2nd full day with the phone. I got a replacement a week later and the new phone started having the issue within hours of bringing it home. I did a full factory reset and the phone worked fine for about 4-5 days, now it's doing it again. Ironically, it ONLY does it at my home. My buddy was over tonight and both of our phones did it at the same time.. so weird.

What PRL are you guys phones running?
It may have eveything to do with your problem, read my post about it.

I just did a hard reset, and did the #228, and now am at 52257 PRI. But, I have no idea what the Hybrid is....the only other thing I see is the ERI = 6. Can you explain more about the Hybrid?

Also....how in the heck did you figure all this out.....all I want to do is have my phone not go into searching every night, so that if an emergency happens, I can get the phone call....and now I am looking into stuff I never even heard of.

Thanks for you help.