What's new

Verizon iPhone 4 (v 4.2.8), Need Help Jailbreaking

MrBenchMark

Reaction score
Hello, to some of you this might be a repeat because I have asked questions regarding this on a different forum and haven't received any direction for one reason or another. I have to admit though, I didn't notice there was a form with the title "iPhone 4 Hacking". So maybe by posting it here, I might get some long awaited answers.

Now, I purchased an iPhone 4 from Verizon last Friday and I am curious as to what I use to jailbreak it. iTunes recently made me aware my iPhone was available for an update and once I updated I then had v 4.2.8 on my phone. So my question is, more specifically what do I use to jailbreak my phone and how do I proceed?

Thanks!

When you upgrade from Apple in iTunes, it also upgrades your modem firmware. The only unlockable firmware version todate for iphone4 is 01.59.00. Thus, if you not on Verizon network you have a bricked device that isn't unlockable at the moment. From here on, do not upgrade from Apple in iTunes, EVER.

To jailbreak, download sn0wbreeze iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Right click application executable, and click properties, and then compatibility. Set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. Run the app.

Agree to first two screens, then click next, where it shows browse there will be a link to firmware. Download proper firmware for your version of the phone. (you can also search your entire computer for *.ipsw, as if you did upgrade from iTunes, you should already have the file)

Then browse for that downloaded .ipsw file and the rest is easy. It's all wizard based.

Once jailbroken, here are apps to download, just copy and paste these to google

The most useful iphone repositories
The Best Cydia Applications of 2011
36 Top Cydia Tweaks (apps) for Jailbroken iPhone 4, 3GS
My Cydia Stuff

Set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. Run the app.

Hey, thanks a lot, but one more question, and it has to do with the quote itself. I don't have a PC, I have a Mac (specifically iMac). Any difference there?

I'm not sure redsnow works with 4.2.8. Snowbreeze will defiantly jailbreak it.

I don't know why grey mouse was talking about unlock as you didn't ask about that nor is one availible for verzion.

Once you download snowbreeze it has a step by step guide to get your phone jailbroken...

I'm not sure redsnow works with 4.2.8. Snowbreeze will defiantly jailbreak it.

I don't know why grey mouse was talking about unlock as you didn't ask about that nor is one availible for verzion.

Once you download snowbreeze it has a step by step guide to get your phone jailbroken...

Thank you for your reply and help. Is there a link you can offer me that will take me directly to where I need to go?

I've since found out the redsnow doesn't work with 4.2.8. You need snowbreeze if you on a PC or pwnage tool has recently been updated if your on a mac.

PC - Jailbreak 4.2.8 On Verizon iPhone 4 Untethered And iOS 4.3.3 On Windows Using Sn0wbreeze 2.7 [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Mac - Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 Untethered On Verizon iPhone 4 Using PwnageTool (For Mac Users) | Redmond Pie

gaz, I am on an iMac and thanks so much for your information but gawd, it looks awfully complicated to me...almost something I don't want to even mess with for fear that I will become over anxious and mess something up...

I've since found out the redsnow doesn't work with 4.2.8. You need snowbreeze if you on a PC or pwnage tool has recently been updated if your on a mac.

PC - Jailbreak 4.2.8 On Verizon iPhone 4 Untethered And iOS 4.3.3 On Windows Using Sn0wbreeze 2.7 [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Mac - Jailbreak iOS 4.2.8 Untethered On Verizon iPhone 4 Using PwnageTool (For Mac Users) | Redmond Pie

gaz, I am on an iMac and thanks so much for your information but gawd, it looks awfully complicated to me...almost something I don't want to even mess with for fear that I will become over anxious and mess something up...

Then dont jb if your not sure. Theres nothing wrong with the phone the way it is now!!!

gaz, I went to the link you specified for Mac...

Then I went to the download link...

download link.jpg

and after I clicked to download, I received this message...

error message.jpg

Ugh, now what...?

Seems like the links dead. You need to find a link for the latest version of pwnage tool somewhere. I don't want to recommend any others than the one I already have as I trust the site that I gave you. You could try iClarified they are trustworthy.

The jailbreak is not as complicated as it looks. Both snowbrewze and pwnage tool take you through step by step. If you get suck just refer to the guide. I will aggree with the previous poster however. If your that worried about doing it then perhaps it's best just to wait for a more user friendly jailbreak...?

Seems like the links dead. You need to find a link for the latest version of pwnage tool somewhere. I don't want to recommend any others than the one I already have as I trust the site that I gave you. You could try iClarified they are trustworthy.

The jailbreak is not as complicated as it looks. Both snowbrewze and pwnage tool take you through step by step. If you get suck just refer to the guide. I will aggree with the previous poster however. If your that worried about doing it then perhaps it's best just to wait for a more user friendly jailbreak...?

In any case, once I jail break my device, is there anything I have to do to maintain it? Does everything work on the iPhone that was on there prior to the jail break?

Jailbreaking doesnt remove anything. Once you jailbreak nothing changes except from a new app store called cydia appears...

I have a Verizon iPhone 4(v 4.2.8) and you mentioned the modem firmware, I have 1.0.06 modem firmware on my phone. Will i be able to jailbreak the with this firmware? Also my PC runs Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Can I still use the software to jailbreak the phone, Thanks!