What's new

Verizon Announces 2.3 Million iPhone 4s Activated, Gets Ready for iPhone 5 Launch

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-iphone2.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Verizon announced its second-quarter earnings yesterday, revealing that it activated 2.3 million iPhone 4s in the June quarter, which represents their first full quarter selling the iPhone 4. As 9to5 Mac points out, this is 1.3 million less iPhone 4s activated than AT&T, which reported this week that it activated 3.6 million iPhones in the second quarter. As 9to5 Mac notes though, Verizon only has the iPhone 4, whereas AT&T also has the iPhone 3GS.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]9to5 Mac uses the figures that have now been made available from both US carriers, as well as Apple itself, this week, to deduce that Apple’s worldwide total of 20.34 million iPhones sold included 14.44 million iPhones sold abroad, 71 percent of total iPhone sales. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In another report, 9to5 Mac says that it has heard from a trusted Verizon source that Verizon has begun to clear out its iPhone 4 accessory inventory in order to prepare for the iPhone 5 launch this fall. According to the source, Verizon will very soon start reducing the price of its iPhone 4 accessories. 9to5 Mac also posits that the fact that Verizon is looking to clear out its iPhone 4 case inventory might mean that the iPhone 5 will have a sufficiently altered design and therefore will not fit in the same case as the iPhone 4.[/FONT]

Source: Verizon activates 2.3 million iPhone 4s in June quarter | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
[FONT=&quot]Verizon clearing iPhone 4 accessory inventory ahead of iPhone 5 launch? | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence[/FONT]

nice. with that I hear all the anti-iphone fans reaping in sadness as the numbers continue to grow.

[FONT=&quot]As 9to5 Mac points out, this is 1.3 million less iPhone 4s activated than AT&T, which reported this week that it activated 3.6 million iPhones in the second quarter. As 9to5 Mac notes though, Verizon only has the iPhone 4, whereas AT&T also has the iPhone 3GS.[/FONT]
Not only do they offer the 3GS, sometimes they offer it for a ridiculously low price. On VZW, on the other hand, the iPhone is a pricey device; since they only offer the iPhone 4. Because of this, the 3GS might be on the low-end side of AT&T smartphone pricing; where a VZW customer looking for an inexpensive smartphone would probably get one of the cheaper Android devices since they don't have a low-end iOS choice. Maybe the iPhone 4 will become VZW's "low-end" iOS phone when the iPhone 5 comes out.

Dave12308 said:
Not only do they offer the 3GS, sometimes they offer it for a ridiculously low price. On VZW, on the other hand, the iPhone is a pricey device; since they only offer the iPhone 4. Because of this, the 3GS might be on the low-end side of AT&T smartphone pricing; where a VZW customer looking for an inexpensive smartphone would probably get one of the cheaper Android devices since they don't have a low-end iOS choice. Maybe the iPhone 4 will become VZW's "low-end" iOS phone when the iPhone 5 comes out.

How would it be a low end? Nothing will major about the 5 unless they throw a 3d camera, some wings and a diet coke. And vzw will only have two iPhones

It seems the iPhone 5 will have a few major updates to it. When it does come out I don't think it will be long before AT&T stop selling the 3GS...

You are correct about that. AT&T won't be selling the 3GS. They will be giving it away for free with a locked two year contract with the highest data plan.

How would it be a low end? Nothing will major about the 5 unless they throw a 3d camera, some wings and a diet coke. And vzw will only have two iPhones

Notice I put quotes around the words low-end.

If VZW was selling the iPhone 5, it would be the flagship iOS device on their network. Were they to continue selling the iPhone 4, it would then be the "low-end" iOS device; because it wouldn't be the latest and greatest. Same scenario as AT&T currently, the iPhone 4 is their flagship iOS device, the iPhone 3GS is the "low-end" iOS choice.

Currently, Apple doesn't actually make any TRUE low-end devices.

Also, the iPhone 5 is supposed to have a dual-core chipset; probably based on the ARM Cortex A9 architecture as opposed to the current single-core ARM Cortex A8. I don't know about you, but I consider that a MAJOR upgrade.

[FONT=&quot]In another report, 9to5 Mac says that it has heard from a trusted Verizon source that Verizon has begun to clear out its iPhone 4 accessory inventory in order to prepare for the iPhone 5 launch this fall. According to the source, Verizon will very soon start reducing the price of its iPhone 4 accessories. 9to5 Mac also posits that the fact that Verizon is looking to clear out its iPhone 4 case inventory might mean that the iPhone 5 will have a sufficiently altered design and therefore will not fit in the same case as the iPhone 4.[/FONT]
Are we really surprised that the iPhone 4 cases won't fit the iPhone 5? Even if the only difference were the "edge-to-edge" screen, it would render current cases incompatible, since alot of them cover parts of the bezel. With the new screen design, even if everything else was equal dimension wise, exisiting cases would cover part of the screen.

Once again, Us consumers get stroked !! Of course the cases
Won't fit. ! What else is new ? The more people don't have $,
The more these companies find ways to get more out of ya !!!!

I just got my iPhone 4 , so I will be good for at least a year or 2 ..