What's new

vagaries of siri

Buy her chocolates and try to be more attentive to her needs.

There is no way. Siri is in Beta. The software is still technically in its learning phase. The matrix of servers that answer requests are still being load balanced. Which use notice as "Lag" or "Answer that were available but aren't right now".

Thanks--I always think I must be the one screwing things up. If it's Beta--I'll just have to be patient....

Yeah mine is due to being in the uk but by using the tweak any voice I can choose the American female voice !

Yeah mine is due to being in the uk but by using the tweak any voice I can choose the American female voice !
i might try that,i quite like Daniels voice though.

Sounds like an English butler !

I find the female voice harder to listen to.

To use the female voice all you have to do is set the phones language to us English. My mate done it works fine.

To use the female voice all you have to do is set the phones language to us English. My mate done it works fine.

Yes it's simple to change but other threads in connection to doing that suggest that Siri then is less effective in understanding your commands. But obviously not in your friends case at the moment.

That's why a developer supplied the tweak 'any voice'.

"learning phase" is an understatement. Siri may be good for folks not familiar with speech recognition software, but quite frankly Siri needs a major brain transplant to be competitive with modern speech recognition and processing software. She does not seem to learn speech patterns of her users as many other products do. While she handles many common tasks fairly well, she does not do searches very well especially if she doesn't understand various words you speak. I do not speak with an accent and have been told I articulate well, yet she frequently misunderstands me.

She does not do well at all with unique names. Worse she has no provision it seems to learn. My hardwired land line telephone that announces incoming calls has learning capabilities. It started out mispronouncing names but has learned on its own over time.

While this product is in beta, it does not seem that Apple is working very hard to update or enhance it. Compare Siri's limited features to "Google Now" on the Android. (see: article). Lets hope that Google will drive Apple to jump on the Siri bandwagon and give this girl a brain!