What's new

USB cable

frnkNOdroid

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that when I plug my iPhone into my computer a message appeared. It stated "there was a surge in the power to the USB hub. The power output has exceeded maximum temperature." I followed the steps an reset the USB hub. I plugged my iPhone back in and it worked fine... (sync, back up, charge) The only thing I did notice after the incident was battery drain. I say that cause I charged the phone over night to 100% battery then after about 4hrs I was down to 20%. I plugged back into the computer and the same message appeared. This time I could not rest the USB hub, I needed to use another cable. No message and all is fine. I didn't fully charge (76%) and i haven't seen a noticeable drop in charge as of yet. For sure the cable has to be fried but what about my battery? Has anyone seen similar incidents? I feel I'm missing something. Is there something I should be concerned with?

Last edited:
Always use original USB cable if you don't want to kill your battery.

bab2010 said:
Always use original USB cable if you don't want to kill your battery.

I agree with that. I always use apple cords (USB, HDMI, etc.) with my devices. Do you think this incident fried my battery?

I can't say it for sure, but what I do know is that if you weren't using original cables, you can cause some damages on the battery. Now what you can do is to monitor the battery for a couple of days to see if it's working well or if the battery life time is ok or not.

Thanks for the info... I will monitor the battery for a few days. If the battery is damaged would "apple care" cover a replacement?

Update - all seems well with the battery. Turned out to be a signal issue in the area where I work for the quick loss of battery.