What's new

Upgrading from 4.2.1 jailbreak

Xavier_

Reaction score
I didn't update for a very long time, as a result there are very few apps and tweaks that work on my jailbroken phone, am I out of options for upgrading my firmware to something a little newer? Or will I have to hold out for the 7.1 jailbreak? It's a iPhone 4 GSM if that's important. Thanks.

The iPhone 4 can be tethered jailbroken on any and all iOS. iOS 7.1 is jailbreakable using GeekSn0w by Ragemasta here.

The iPhone 4 can be tethered jailbroken on any and all iOS. iOS 7.1 is jailbreakable using GeekSn0w by Ragemasta here.
I know about the tethered jailbreak, problem is I dont think I like the idea about needing to connecting it to PC if it just happens to reboot or turn off.

I suppose I could do it for the mean time, but from what I understand I can't upgrade to any other firmware because apple is only signing 7.1 right?

I know about the tethered jailbreak, problem is I dont think I like the idea about needing to connecting it to PC if it just happens to reboot or turn off.

I suppose I could do it for the mean time, but from what I understand I can't upgrade to any other firmware because apple is only signing 7.1 right?

If you have iOS 6.1.3 blobs saved via Cydia, you can restore to 6.1.3. Or any other SHSH blobs with APTickets that's not iOS 7 for the matter, though 6.0 - 6.1.2 blobs saved using Cydia will not work because Saurik did not implement an upgrade to the APTicket algorithm until much later in iOS 6.1.3. If you don't have blobs, 7.1 is the only option. Frankly, even if it's a tethered jailbreak, you rarely turn the device off or reboot it, and when you do, it's usually when you're next to a computer but I can see where you're coming from with regards to the whole tethered booting. I'm not sure if the semi-tethered patch works on iOS 7.1. I don't recall it working on iOS 7 originally for Ragebreak when it came out, so probably not. Otherwise, you'd at least get some functionality

Last edited:
If you have iOS 6.1.3 blobs saved via Cydia, you can restore to 6.1.3. Or any other SHSH blobs with APTickets that's not iOS 7 for the matter, though 6.0 - 6.1.2 blobs saved using Cydia will not work because Saurik did not implement an upgrade to the APTicket algorithm until much later in iOS 6.1.3. If you don't have blobs, 7.1 is the only option. Frankly, even if it's a tethered jailbreak, you rarely turn the device off or reboot it, and when you do, it's usually when you're next to a computer but I can see where you're coming from with regards to the whole tethered booting. I'm not sure if the semi-tethered patch works on iOS 7.1. I don't recall it working on iOS 7 originally for Ragebreak when it came out, so probably not. Otherwise, you'd at least get some functionality
Yeah, unfortunatly I don't have the blobs for any firmware other than the one I currently have, I pretty must jailbroke my device and never updated it or even looked into updating firmware till now, Im regretting the decision now though.

The real problem with tethered is that due to exams I have to power down my device, it wouldn't be pretty to have a useless device when I try to turn ot back on again. Another problem I face is that if iOS 7.1 does end up getting a untethered jailbreak by then apple might have a new firmware and stop signing it. That's why I'm so indecisive now, lots of things have changed since I last jailbroke my iPhone.

Yeah, unfortunatly I don't have the blobs for any firmware other than the one I currently have, I pretty must jailbroke my device and never updated it or even looked into updating firmware till now, Im regretting the decision now though.

The real problem with tethered is that due to exams I have to power down my device, it wouldn't be pretty to have a useless device when I try to turn ot back on again. Another problem I face is that if iOS 7.1 does end up getting a untethered jailbreak by then apple might have a new firmware and stop signing it. That's why I'm so indecisive now, lots of things have changed since I last jailbroke my iPhone.

The iPhone 4 will probably not see the light of day on iOS 8 because iOS 7 significantly dragged down the performance of the 4, and the only reason it received iOS 7 support was because Apple can't place 2 devices into legacy status of the same form factor simultaneously. But more than likely the same will happen on the last iOS 7 update as iOS 6.1.X, where after the 3GS and iPod Touch 4th Generation stopped signing, there was an untethered jailbreak made available so that the latest iOS on those legacy devices are jailbreakable. The iOS 8 exploits used can probably be used on the later iOS 7 as well if it's spotted on iOS 7 and carried over towards iOS 8, plus it's an iPhone 4, so it won't be difficult at all. @winocm posted a video yesterday on untethered booting his iPhone 4, so when the iPhone 4 is cut short, it'll still be jailbreakable at whatever the last iOS is.

The iPhone 4 will probably not see the light of day on iOS 8 because iOS 7 significantly dragged down the performance of the 4, and the only reason it received iOS 7 support was because Apple can't place 2 devices into legacy status of the same form factor simultaneously. But more than likely the same will happen on the last iOS 7 update as iOS 6.1.X, where after the 3GS and iPod Touch 4th Generation stopped signing, there was an untethered jailbreak made available so that the latest iOS on those legacy devices are jailbreakable. The iOS 8 exploits used can probably be used on the later iOS 7 as well if it's spotted on iOS 7 and carried over towards iOS 8, plus it's an iPhone 4, so it won't be difficult at all. @winocm posted a video yesterday on untethered booting his iPhone 4, so when the iPhone 4 is cut short, it'll still be jailbreakable at whatever the last iOS is.
I wish I could gotten Jailbroken at 6.x.x but it is what is is, that being the case I guess being tethered for awhile isn't too bad. I think I might wait a bit to see if anything materializes with the untethered jailbreak, but I might want to suck it up and have it tethered for awhile, being limited app wise isn't too fun.

Thanks for the info and help, I'll keep an eye out and wont feel as hesistant if I do decide to go for 7.1 tethered.

Sure thing. Hope that all goes well

Sent from my iPad using Tapa