What's new

upgraded to ios 7 and have a wi fi usage issue please help

john doe

Reaction score
i am still pretty new to the iphone ,only have it 6 months or less .my first smart phone .

i upgraded to ios 7 yesterday and ever since then my phone is using wi-fi without any input from me .i have turned alot of things off but it is still doing it .its doing it right now .

seems to happen most when the phone is resting and the lock screen is on .what the heck is it doing ??
this worries me because i only have 1gb of data usage and when i am away from home and not in a wi-fi area it will use my data to do whatever it is it is doing .

anyone else notice this??

it did not do this with ios 6.

so theres a 7.0.2 out already??my only issue is with it using wi-fi when i feel it should not be .i have turned many things off in a attempt to stop this but its still doing it .

i done a full backup of my phone before the upgrade to ios 7 .

ps- i have a 4s

If wifi is turned on, and you have data being fetched or pushed from sources, then the device will use its established connection to continue the data transfer. If you don't want wifi to fetch/pull data, turn if off when it's not in use.

always had wi-fi on when using ios 6 and it never used wi-fi so hard before .i will be keeping my eye on this .

what about push notifications?where can these be turned off?

Settings - notification center. Switch off whatever you don't want on. Then under each app listed make sure you have "none" selected under alert style.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

ok, my phone only seems to do this funky thing with the wifi when its plugged in and charging .if i go over to the phone click the home screen ,then swipe to unlock ,a second later it stops using the wifi ....wtf?
never seen it do this on ios6.

and once i am unplugged i never see it using wifi either .strange

I don't understand how you know it is "using" wifi??

There are things you can shut off to make sure cellular data isn't being used, which would be your concern as you stated.

Settings>Cellular> scroll down to all your apps and turn off ones you don't want access to cellular

Settings>General>About>Diagnostics and Usage>Don't send

Settings>Background app refresh>off

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services> turn all off

Also, check to see if you have it set to automatically sync to iTunes when charging. Settings>General>iTunes wifi sync

Settings>iTunes and App store> turn off automatic downloads and/or Use Cellular Data

Shut down FB from the App bar....double click the home button and then swipe the thumbnail up to close.

These are just a few things you can do to not only reduce data loss, but also battery usage.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you know it is "using" wifi??

There are things you can shut off to make sure cellular data isn't being used, which would be your concern as you stated.

Settings>Cellular> scroll down to all your apps and turn off ones you don't want access to cellular

Settings>General>About>Diagnostics and Usage>Don't send

Settings>Background app refresh>off

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services> turn all off

Also, check to see if you have it set to automatically sync to iTunes when charging. Settings>General>iTunes wifi sync

Settings>iTunes and App store> turn off automatic downloads and/or Use Cellular Data

Shut down FB from the App bar....double click the home button and then swipe the thumbnail up to close.

These are just a few things you can do to not only reduce data loss, but also battery usage.

i have done those things ......i can tell its using wifi by looking at my router,the light is flashing fast letting me know wifi is in use .it stops when i unlock the phone .

See if your router reacts the same way with wifi turned off.

See if your router reacts the same way with wifi turned off.
it does not .my phone can sit here all day and not use the wifi .once i plug it in for charging (wall adapter,not plugged into my pc)it starts doing this .i`m stumped .i guess i can turn wifi off during charging .

never had to under ios 6 though

and you're sure it's not trying to sync with iTunes? Just throwing it out there as an idea to explore. May be a glitch on your phone with the update.

Settings>General>iTunes Wifi Sync

Automatically sync with iTunes on your computer when your iPhone is plugged in to power and connected to Wifi.

Last edited:
Also turn off automatic updates/downloads, photo stream, etc.

and you're sure it's not trying to sync with iTunes? Just throwing it out there as an idea to explore. May be a glitch on your phone with the update.

Settings>General>iTunes Wifi Sync

Automatically sync with iTunes on your computer when your iPhone is plugged in to power and connected to Wifi.

i have not done this .it looks just as you typed it .is there a option to turn this off?as i have not seen one .

ok, i found out whats going on .i turned off wifi and continued to charge ,when i went to open the phone there was a message .
"this phone has not been backed up ,backups occur when the phone is plugged in and the screen locked"

so it was using wifi during charging to backup the phone .i guess i kept interrupting it .i will do a backup thru my pc on itunes and this problem should go away .

thanks for everyones help .

Often times it's recommended that you leave the device as is or even in Airplane Mode while charging so not to disrupt the charging cycle. If you're using the device while charging, it discharges and recharges, which can essentially "kill" some of your use time until you calibrate it cleanly again