What's new

Upgraded to 10.3. Now Problems

gadget069

Reaction score
Upgraded to 10.3 and now my 3rd party charge/3.5mm adapter is not supported. I really wanted to give there iPhone experience a shot, but this is killing me. Just did this before a trip and can't afford to roll back and lose everything grrrrrr

That's why it's always better to use authentic accessories; unlike unlicensed third party accessories. They have the authentication chip. Apple devices will normally block chargers and cables without the chip.

That's why it's always better to use authentic accessories; unlike unlicensed third party accessories. They have the authentication chip. Apple devices will normally block chargers and cables without the chip.
Wish I would've known this going in. I wonder if it's too late to return this thing. Just getting used to using everything too. [emoji26]

Wish I would've known this going in. I wonder if it's too late to return this thing. Just getting used to using everything too. [emoji26]
It's actually been going on for over 4 years. Some third party chargers and cords will work for a while but, as you've experienced, an iOS update can render them useless. You'd probably not have much luck trying to return the charger.

It's actually been going on for over 4 years. Some third party chargers and cords will work for a while but, as you've experienced, an iOS update can render them useless. You'd probably not have much luck trying to return the charger.
I was talking about the phone lol. Unfortunately I tried a restore this morning and didn't finish before I had to leave for my flight. Stuck with my S7 Edge for the trip I guess. What I'm really going to miss is the battery life.

The phone came with a charger from Apple, can you use that one? No reason to go away from a wonderful instrument for a relatively inexpensive (when compared to the phone itself) item.

The phone came with a charger from Apple, can you use that one? No reason to go away from a wonderful instrument for a relatively inexpensive (when compared to the phone itself) item.
I'm using the iPhone charger. But I'm using a splitter from Amazon so I can charge the phone while watching TV shows at bedtime and use my earbuds.

I'm using the iPhone charger. But I'm using a splitter from Amazon so I can charge the phone while watching TV shows at bedtime and use my earbuds.
There are authorized splitters for sale from Belkin and other companies. Have you tried one of those?

There are authorized splitters for sale from Belkin and other companies. Have you tried one of those?
Nope, still new to this. I may need a little more guidance. Thanks

Last edited:
This is what I purchased, 2 in 1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Audio Adapter and Lightning Charging Port for iPhone 7 /7 plus (Black) - No Calling Function and No Music Control Amazon.com: 2 in 1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Audio Adapter and Lightning Charging Port for iPhone 7 /7 plus (Black) - No Calling Function and No Music Control: Home Audio & Theater worked with 10.2 took the update and now is an unauthorized device
A fully compatible splitter would have had full music control and calling function. That splitter was always unauthorized, it just took until the latest iOS update to be blocked. Unfortunately you got caught in the middle here.

A fully compatible splitter would have had full music control and calling function. That splitter was always unauthorized, it just took until the latest iOS update to be blocked. Unfortunately you got caught in the middle here.
I guess where to go from here?

I guess where to go from here?
If you're checking out other third party adaptors, make sure the product has the Apple MFI program logo on the packaging and that the product info states that the accessory offers full music and calling control. Look for a logo like these on the packaging.
IMG_3194.PNG

If you're checking out other third party adaptors, make sure the product has the Apple MFI program logo on the packaging and that the product info states that the accessory offers full music and calling control. Look for a logo like these on the packaging.
View attachment 31947
I do almost all of my shopping online so that may be difficult. The place locally might be a Best Buy.