What's new

Upgrade to ios 4 KILLED the radio

joester

Reaction score
Hi guys -
I should start out by stating that I have always been an android guy. Just how it worked out.

Anyhow...
I was given an old iphone 3g and a 3gs recently. The 3gs - no problem. Figured out what I needed and it's doing what I intended it to - WiFi only - email, pandora.... that's about all I wanted (listening to it now in fact).
But the 3g... another story.
When I got it, the battery was completely depleted. After charging and powering it up, it was stuck in emergency only mode but I could see it had a signal indicated on the upper left corner (3 bars) so I figured recovering the phone through iTunes would restore it. Only option was to upgrade the software at the same time. No biggie, right?

Now that it's upgraded to 4.2.1, the radio is pretty much dead. Bluetooth works, no cell service, and the WiFi is greyed out. I'm curious to know if there is a way to restore the radio to allow WiFi. This phone was only going to be for e-mail and maybe some games.

I did try to re-recover the phone thinking it was just some anomaly, but there was no change.

Thoughts?

UPDATE -
I successfully downgraded the ios to 3.1.3 but the modem is still DOA. If anyone running 3.1.3 could share their modem firmware version I would appreciate it. Not sure what killed it at this point. I figured it was ios 4 that did it since the radio worked before the "upgrade".
Thanks!