What's new

Upgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 6.1.3

Preacher

Reaction score
I have an old iPhone 4 32gb with iOS 5.1.1

Since several apps doesn't install on this iOS version, I need to update it, but not to iOS 7 which would be very heavy on iPhone 4, so I decided to updated it to 6.1.3, but I keep getting iTunes error 3194 or 3004.

I read somewhere here that I can only update it to the latest iOS version, is that true? If not, how can I install iOS 6.1.3?

I have an old iPhone 4 32gb with iOS 5.1.1 Since several apps doesn't install on this iOS version, I need to update it, but not to iOS 7 which would be very heavy on iPhone 4, so I decided to updated it to 6.1.3, but I keep getting iTunes error 3194 or 3004. I read somewhere here that I can only update it to the latest iOS version, is that true? If not, how can I install iOS 6.1.3?
I'm afraid that the only iOS upgrade available to you is iOS 7.1.1. Error 3194 is commonly encountered when trying to instal an incompatible firmware on your device. The reason you can't upgrade to iOS 6.1.3 is because Apple is no longer signing iOS 6.1.3 for the iPhone 4.

I'm afraid that the only iOS upgrade available to you is iOS 7.1.1. Error 3194 is commonly encountered when trying to instal an incompatible firmware on your device. The reason you can't upgrade to iOS 6.1.3 is because Apple is no longer signing iOS 6.1.3 for the iPhone 4.

And do you happen to know how heavy is iOS 7.1.1 on an iPhone 4?

I'm afraid not, you have two choices; stay where you are or update to iOS 7.1.1.

One last question, since you're being very helpful. If I update my iPhone, will I lose my current sessions on Safari, like Facebook and others?

One last question, since you're being very helpful. If I update my iPhone, will I lose my current sessions on Safari, like Facebook and others?
You shouldn't lose anything if the update is successful. If you do a backup just before updating, you can restore from the backup if anything does go wrong. I don't use Facebook very much so I'm not positive about that.

You shouldn't lose anything if the update is successful. If you do a backup just before updating, you can restore from the backup if anything does go wrong. I don't use Facebook very much so I'm not positive about that.

I just updated the iPhone to 7.1.1, tried to restore the backup and got the an "itunes could not restore the iphone because the backup could not be saved on the computer" error. Did I just lost my entire backup?

Solved... I had a recent backup on my laptop, just copied it to my desktop and restored succesfully.

Solved... I had a recent backup on my laptop, just copied it to my desktop and restored succesfully.

How exactly do you copy a backup from one computer to another? Could you share please?

How exactly do you copy a backup from one computer to another? Could you share please?

Backups from iTunes are stored locally on your hard drive. There are no limiting factors that prevents you from copying them over to another media or terminal. It's actually recommended that you copy a copy of your backup onto a flash drive or external hard disk just in case your computer goes down, particularly if you're a power user.