What's new

Updating help

VizualXTC

Reaction score
I'm putting this in the jailbreaking forum because I don't know where else to put it. I believe it's a jailbreaking problem.

I got an iPhone 3GS from a friend that was stuck in Recovery Mode. And giving me the 1015 error. I did the workaround to get it working, now there are a few residual problems.

1: The WIFI signal is REALLY weak. My iphone 4 gets 3 bars, where the 3GS gets only 1.
2: Safari crashes immediately upon opening. It flashes a white screen with blue top and bottom, then it crashes.
3: I had to use the redsn0w jailbreak to get it to where it is. I have tried restoring it to factory settings with 4.3.5 but it sends me an error on a fresh restore.

Any help with these problems would be amazing. If I put this in the wrong forum, I apologize.

I'll try and help...

1. WiFi strength is very rarely anything to do with jailbreak or software. It could be a hardware issue, but my 3G has always had a weaker signal than my iP4. A restore may help, but I think it is unlikely.
2. Sounds like you have a tethered jailbreak there. You need to use redsn0w to boot your phone every time it is restarted, otherwise Safari won't work. You do this by running redsn0w and choosing the "Just boot tethered right now" option. Make sure all the others are unticked. Then your phone will boot up fine and Safari will work. But you need to do this again every time you restart the phone. This is what "tethered" means.
3. To get it back to factory 4.3.5 you need to put your phone into DFU mode and then restore in iTunes. We have a tutorial here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/
Also, if you made any changes to your computers "hosts" file, you need to remove any lines which refer to gs.apple.com before you restore. If you didn't, then don't worry about this.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your help.

If I was to put it back to factory setting, would I be able to jailbreak it after that with an unteathered jailbreak? I really don't care too much about safari because there are other browsers I can get for free (i.e. Opera, Dolphin, etc) but I don'tr have Cydia on it, and I would like that. Thanks again for all your help.