What's new

unlock outside of country?

qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Post moved to iPhone 4S forum

Can you unlock a phone outisde of the originating country?
I have an iphone 4s on Fido Canada, I have the Fido SIM inserted but it is registered on a UK network as I am in the UK now.
I rang Fido and they said the unlock would not work unless I was in Canada.
Is this true?

That shouldn't be the case considering that they'll be remotely unlocking your device by adding your device's IMEI onto the global whitelist that works worldwide. Their policies might be different.

That shouldn't be the case considering that they'll be remotely unlocking your device by adding your device's IMEI onto the global whitelist that works worldwide. Their policies might be different.

adeas what else they could do differently?

Can Apple unlock phones?
I need some repairs done to some hardware on the phone and was wondering if Apple could just unlock it at the same time?

Apple want to charge £120 for repairs, Fido want to charge £30 to unlock so I'm wondering if it's not just worth getting a new unlock phone.

Last edited:
Apple only unlocks them at the factory. Once it's shipped out, it's carrier-only.

Apple only unlocks them at the factory. Once it's shipped out, it's carrier-only.

so, when you take the phone in for repairs do they actually bother to take it apart or do they sometimes just give you a new phone instead?

That depends. Phone replacements are mainly for the warranty though that'll soon change since Apple is pushing for an on-the-spot repair for all Apple Care and Warranty cases. AFAIK, they'll take it for several weeks or months, ship it back to Cupertino, repair it, then ship it back to you.