What's new

Unlock or jailbreak??

r1passedu

Reaction score
Whatsu the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking? I wanted to unlock my iPhone 4 and get cheaper service. What service do you have with your iPhone and how's the service??

r1passedu said:
Whatsu the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking? I wanted to unlock my iPhone 4 and get cheaper service. What service do you have with your iPhone and how's the service??

Jailbreaking is the process of installing an application called "Cydia". That's basically all it does...install Cydia. Moves and adds a couple DIR in the file system.

Unlocking is totally different. This is where you "unlock" the baseband from the carrier it's locked to.

If you are on the latest iOS...with the latest baseband...then you cannot unlock.

If you have a CDMA iPhone and not a GSM iPhone, then you cannot unlock at all. Only GSM iPhones can be unlocked.

If you An AT&T iPhone...and you live in the US...you can use Straight Talk $45 a month unlimited everything without even unlocking the phone.

How is straight talk with the iPhone?? Ive heard good things and bad things about it. Things are tough right now and I'd like to lower my bill but I want good reception and data also.

r1passedu said:
How is straight talk with the iPhone?? Ive heard good things and bad things about it. Things are tough right now and I'd like to lower my bill but I want good reception and data also.

Well...I can assure you that Straight Talk works great with the iPhone.

Whatever bad things you have heard were from people that either did something wrong...or just didn't know what they were doing.

Data is fast and reliable....service is outstanding.

I would call it "almost perfect".

The only I say "almost" is because I you have to install a tweak called TetherMe to get MMS to work. But that is the only thing.

And honestly....i don't see why anyone wouldn't install TetherMe anyway. It allows you to use the native tethering feature for free.lol. If ya ask me it's more like a another bonus to using Straight Talk.

If I want on a family plan with Verizon...I would be on Straight Talk myself.

I have personally setup Straight Talk on my friends iPhone..._and they are still using ST on they're phone today. That was 2 years ago....and everything is still fine...service is great.

No problems whatsoever.

If you ask me...

If one has a AT&T iPhone....not on contract with any carrier....it would be crazy to not go the Straight Talk route....just crazy.

I am getting on Straight Talk as soon as my contract with Verizon is up. Seeing how well it's been working for the people I have set it up for....there is no reason not to pay $45 a month for unlimited everything.

And back then...it was before ST started selling Straight Talk SIMs. Back when you had buy a $200 phone and take the SIM out.

Now...it's when easier...it's even better. Just buy a ST SIM for $15....activate it...

Put in the iPhone.....works instantly. Calls and text do. Have to visit a website..download a profile...install it...then you have working data.

Jailbreak. Install TetherMe...add the APN settings......now MMS works.

It's almost too easy...and a slap in the face to all the over-charging big name carriers.