What's new

Unlock iPhone 4S without a jailbreak!

Jmills87

Reaction score
xoicos from Twitter discovered a way to unlock your iPhone4S without the need of a jailbreak. Please do this at your own risk. I have tested it and can confirm that it is working(although it took me a few tries to get the timing right).
  1. Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
  2. Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
  3. Turn on Airplane Mode
  4. Take out AT&T SIM card
  5. Insert T-Mobile SIM card
  6. Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
  7. Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
  8. Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
  9. EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
  10. Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
  11. Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
  12. When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
  13. Eject SIM card
  14. Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
  15. Insert SIM card
  16. Your Iphone 4S Unlocked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jmills87 said:
xoicos from Twitter discovered a way to unlock your iPhone4S without the need of a jailbreak. Please do this at your own risk. I have tested it and can confirm that it is working(although it took me a few tries to get the timing right).
[*]Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
[*]Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
[*]Turn on Airplane Mode
[*]Take out AT&T SIM card
[*]Insert T-Mobile SIM card
[*]Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
[*]Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
[*]Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
[*]EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
[*]Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
[*]Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
[*]When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
[*]Eject SIM card
[*]Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
[*]Insert SIM card
[*]Your Iphone 4S Unlocked!
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tATp_tbQ4k

Is this for iPhone 4S only? Does it work on iPhone 4 ?

It doesn't work. As soon as the phone finishes initializing communication with the GSM network, it realizes the wrong SIM is installed and fails. The YouTube video cuts off before that happens.

thewitt I have tried it myself and it does in fact work. However, every time you reboot you have to do the process over again, it took me about 10 mins to get the timing just right the first time. As far as I know, it doesn't work on iPhone4

thewitt I have tried it myself and it does in fact work. However, every time you reboot you have to do the process over again, it took me about 10 mins to get the timing just right the first time. As far as I know, it doesn't work on iPhone4

If you can make this work for longer than a few minutes and last until a reboot, you are the only one on several dozen forums to do so.

We tried it in the office for a couple hours and no one was able to get it to "stick" past GSM authentication. it always locked. Every time.

We only tried on an iPhone 4S