What's new

Unlimited data

hinds90

Reaction score
As long as I get a used iPhone 5 or buy it at full retail I will be able to keep my unlimited data correct or will I have to change my plan regardless because of 4g?

You'll keep your unlimited, yes. However it'll only be 3G speeds... until they throttle of course.

So in order to get 4g speeds I have to up date to a 4g plan. That sucks! When I had my galaxy nexus which was maybe a year ago I picked up 4g whenever I was in a 4g area.

Last edited:
hinds90 said:
So in order to get 4g speeds I have to up date to a 4g plan. That sucks! When I had my galaxy nexus which was maybe a year ago I picked up 4g whenever I was in a 4g area.

All you do is buy the iPhone 5 at full retail and put it on your line that has a smartphone on it already. The unlimited data remains on there. Now it just says that it is 4G data. Same price. And there is no throttling with Verizon. I went through this month only using my unlimited data and I managed to pull off 10GB of data. I did speed tests throughout the month and there was no throttling on my iPhone 5. It was pulling 25mbps download and 17mbps upload on average.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

All you do is buy the iPhone 5 at full retail and put it on your line that has a smartphone on it already. The unlimited data remains on there. Now it just says that it is 4G data. Same price. And there is no throttling with Verizon. I went through this month only using my unlimited data and I managed to pull off 10GB of data. I did speed tests throughout the month and there was no throttling on my iPhone 5. It was pulling 25mbps download and 17mbps upload on average.
This is correct... and I apologize for my mis-post previously. I was going off of AT&T spects for continuing on their Unlimited Data plans. Verizon will continue the Unlimited Data w/ 4G and they do not throttle at all from what I understand.

This is correct... and I apologize for my mis-post previously. I was going off of AT&T spects for continuing on their Unlimited Data plans. Verizon will continue the Unlimited Data w/ 4G and they do not throttle at all from what I understand.

We will be able to keep unlimited data??

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Lol that is great news. Last question I know you said full retail but does that apply to used also? There's a lot of misinformation about this online. I asked this exact same question on another forum and I was told the exact oppisite of what thewirelesscartel said.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now to wait and hunt for a decently priced used iPhone 5 32gb.

Regardless of which wireless provider... the only guaranteed way to continue on w/ your Unlimited Data is to purchase a device at full price or, hinds90, switch over to a used device. Purchasing a phone @ a wireless providers subsidized price for a 2yr contract extension is what will kick you out of the Unlimited Data.

This Is how it was explained to me I will keep my unlimited data if i bring in any Verizon smartphone or buy a new phone at full retail my contract will not change but if you upgrade you will lose unlimited data

jjmcb said:
This Is how it was explained to me I will keep my unlimited data if i bring in any Verizon smartphone or buy a new phone at full retail my contract will not change but if you upgrade you will lose unlimited data

Exactly. Keep in mind. They will not allow you to insure the phone either. You have to wait for open enrollment and only some phones qualify. You can however get insurance elsewhere. Kind of their way of trying to push people out of unlimited data.

DRad2003 said:
Exactly. Keep in mind. They will not allow you to insure the phone either. You have to wait for open enrollment and only some phones qualify. You can however get insurance elsewhere. Kind of their way of trying to push people out of unlimited data.

Open enrollment for insurance always comes around and when it does you have to bring your phone to a store so they can check it for liquid damage or any cracks before it can actually be insured.

Another thing...you might want to do an account analysis to see exactly how much data you actually use. If its less than 2gb on average for the past 3 months, just doing your upgrade won't be so bad. Plus you save a lot of money on the phone purchase. Wifi does wonders to save your data. Trust me I work at a Verizon retail store and people who use wifi on a daily basis save money on their plans and on the phones over all.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

DRad2003 said:

Which is why now I'm debating on just leaving Verizon

My iPhone 4S beat an 4 g android during a shopping trip recently. I loaded web pages & found grand kids toys r us wish lists faster. I'm sticking with Verizon.

My iPhone 4S beat an 4 g android during a shopping trip recently. I loaded web pages & found grand kids toys r us wish lists faster. I'm sticking with Verizon.

That should only be true if the android is running the "so called 4g" that carriers like Sprint advertised when it's really just 3G and they're behind in tech

When I got m iphone, galaxy nexus, and iphone 4s my insurance transfered over. It was like 2$ more expensive. All phones were used.