What's new

Unbrick iPhone 3GS?

jak1192

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 5 and baseband 5.16. After reading various blog posts and threads, I was told that in order to unlock it, I had to first upgrade it to the iPad baseband (6.15) and then downgrade it. Well, when I tried upgrading to 6.15, it took me halfway through the process and then said I had to first activate the iPhone. Not having a SIM card yet, I couldn't proceed. Now, WiFi doesn't work, Bluetooth doesn't work, calls, tons of things. The modem firmware is blank. The top left of the screen just says "Searching", and iTunes won't even recognize it. I think it may be bricked. Any suggestions?

Do you have a new bootrom? Because if ypu do your 3GS is bricked for good. Regardless of downgrade. Can you give me the 3,4,5 digits of your serial number.

jak1192 said:
It's new bootrom. Digits are 141

Sadly, your 3GS is bricked for good :/. The downgrade wont work as your modem is officially broken.

I'm afraid h2olover1 is correct. If your device was manufactured on or after the 35th week of 2011 you are not supposed to install the iPad baseband as it permanently bricks the radio. You will have to either replace the phone's mainboard or buy a new phone.

nah man you dont have to buy a new one..... i have the same problem, 3 days ago i bought phones ( 3GS ) and i mistakely updated the baseband using redsnow and after looking at every forum or discussion about the 3gs there was one that said you can fix that problem by mounting a new baseband chip on the board, people commented that it worked for them but I personally haven't tried it, i would love to try it but each piece costs $58 plus shipping.... and i bought 2 3GS's.. so how ***Moderation Notice*** up you think i am.... :\

Last edited by a moderator:
i would love to try it but each piece costs $58 plus shipping.... and i bought 2 3GS's.. so how ***Moderation Notice*** up you think i am.... :\

That's why I said he would either have to replace the mainboard or buy a whole new phone. A brand new 3Gs mainboard doesn't cost much more than $58 and it is far easier to replace the whole mainboard than to try and unsolder and resolder a new baseband chip.