What's new

Unable to Jailbreak (untethered) iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 OS and 5.14.04 Baseband

bluem1

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet to find a way to just jailbreak (untethered) my iphone 3G and I am not having any luck.

I have seen posts on how to jailbreak using greenpois0n but I could not get the app to go into DFU mode and I always get the "try again" message. Some have said that greenpois0n no longer support iPhone 3G. I have tried both rc6 and rc5.

I have tried other options such as redsn0w and sn0wbreeze to create custom ipsw file to upload into my iPhone, but this seemed to cause crashes when I attempt to text someone (I click on Contacts button, select my contact and click on text message button and the phone crahes and reboots).

I would really appreciated if someone can tell me if jailbreaking is possible and how?

Thanks...B

I would advise staying away from any 4.0 firmware on a 3G. As you've discovered it can crash alot and generally runs really slow.

If you wish to stay on 4.2.1 then redsnow would be your best bet. No need for snowbreeze as no custom ipsw is needed.

First restore you phone to stock via iTunes and make sure everythings running as it should be. If all is ok download redsnow from the links in the guides for jailbreaking 4.3.3. You will also need the ipsw from apple which can be found in the link below...

iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw