What's new

UK 3GS on O2 PAYG using abroad

5degrees

Reaction score
Hi there
Only had my 2nd hand 3GS for a few months but am going to France and then the US in a few weeks and want to take my phone with me.

1] If I switch of data roaming on my iPhone then will apps still work such as tourist / sightseeing utils that use GPS?

2] Does anyone know of a wi-fi cloud provider that I can subscribe to for a week in the US?

Cheers
5D

If data roaming is enable, all your apps will be able to work using farad, but it could be very costy for you.
As for wifi, there are a lot of free WiFi spots in the US, you can find them on places like coffee bars an places like that. A cloud WiFi provider, I don't know any.

Hi there

1] If I switch of data roaming on my iPhone then will apps still work such as tourist / sightseeing utils that use GPS?
5D

Navfree GPS works quite well. Download USA version in UK before you come to USA. It is free and you do not have to register to make it work (I have trouble registering while I was in London). It works with 3G turned off although not as good as Garmin.

I have NavFree - New York downloaded so was one of the GPS tools that I intended to use however as the search facility uses Google then I would have expected at least some basic need for data connectivity.

My service provider wants to charge me £6 / $10 per MB for data and I think I can get the likes of Boingo UNLIMITED for a month for that! I just need to clarify if as a UK resident I can subscribe to their service.

Another alternative which I mentioned is the much more expensive BT OpenZone International

If you are annoyed with hefty telephone bills and wants to pay only for what you use then i will suggest you to use iPhone Pay as you go deal. It is really fantastic option for UK users. Here you will not have to make any contract. You can easily cut you monthly expanses by availing iPhone Pay as you go deal.

$iphone-parallels.jpg

it might be worth getting a sim from those countries and using it as charges from o2 are very high

In all honesty 3G connectivity wasnt necessary when I got over there as there are that many free wifi points through the city then I always found something within a block of the main area.

It got a bit thin as you headed out to the likes of Hell's Kitchen and over on the east side near USS Intrepid but I could live with that.

With all the Starbucks and free wifi I had plenty of coverage.

I did purchase a BT Openzone International roaming contract for about £30.00 but this was a waste of time at most places other than the airport and once near Staten Island Ferry Terminal; it uses Boingo as a primary service supplier however trying to find one of those POP's was almost impossible.

The only other time I bought internet access was at the hotel as this was cheap (£20.00 for the week) and was a reasonable speed. Made getting updates for news and weather very easy and also was a good alternative to allow making Skype calls back to the UK

The trip to NYC was very enjoyable and I would suggest anyone who tries to tell you to buy a SIM or a roaming contract then do not bother - plenty on offer for free.

Hi there Only had my 2nd hand 3GS for a few months but am going to France and then the US in a few weeks and want to take my phone with me. 1] If I switch of data roaming on my iPhone then will apps still work such as tourist / sightseeing utils that use GPS? 2] Does anyone know of a wi-fi cloud provider that I can subscribe to for a week in the US? Cheers 5D
You can simply go with iphone pay as you go deal offer. As, many service providers are coming with this deal offer on iphone. So, instead of going for a contracted iphone, you should go with iphone pay as you go deal and leave all your tension behind. With this offer you can avail many benefits, whether you go to US or to France. For more information you can also visit this following link : iPhone Deals, PAYG iPhone Deal, Pay As You Go iPhone Deals which will be beneficial for you.

You can simply go with iphone pay as you go deal offer. As, many service providers are coming with this deal offer on iphone. So, instead of going for a contracted iphone, you should go with iphone pay as you go deal and leave all your tension behind. With this offer you can avail many benefits, whether you go to US or to France. For more information you can also visit this following link : iPhone Deals, PAYG iPhone Deal, Pay As You Go iPhone Deals which will be beneficial for you.

I am already on a PAYG O2 contract but the cost of overseas data usage is horrendously expensive. A £20 top up will barely last you a day for even light usage such as social network apps or even GPS apps that use Google search for lookups.

PAYG is not a good solution and as for leaving tension behind, I think it is more stressful to purchase one of your marketing deals opposed to buying a WIFI solution from a reputable provider