What's new

TUTORIAL - Re-restore IOS 5.x on iPhone4S using redsn0w and SHSH Blobs

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPhoneForums tutorial on how to re-restore your non-A4 device to a 5.x firmware using SHSH Blobs and redsn0w!

redsn0w continues to evolve to be far more than just a jailbreak tool, and the latest iteration delivers something the community has been eagerly anticipating since the release of IOS6. iPhone4S owners can now re-restore their devices to previous versions of 5.x firmware provided they have saved SHSH Blobs. Before this tool was released, it was only possible to restore to IOS 6.0.

NOTE - You must have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to downgrade to. Without these, you cannot downgrade under any circumstances. No blobs = no downgrade. See our FAQ for more information about blobs - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i.../shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-19986/.
Furthermore, if your device had its current installation of IOS done via the OTA method, redsn0w will not be able to restore the device. For most jailbreakers this should not be a problem, since jailbreaking should not normally involve OTA updates of IOS. If you have never been jailbroken, you may fall foul of this problem!

WARNING - If you rely on a software or hardware unlock you must be very careful using this tool. The baseband will typically need to be updated on a non-A4 device. There is no way to preserve it. If you need an unlock, make sure you know what you are doing before you proceed! The phone used in this tutorial is factory unlocked and therefore immune from any problems!

This tutorial will demonstrate the re-restore of an iPhone4S from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1. The tool however will support the installation of ANY IOS 5.x firmware from ANY 5.x firmware version currently installed, provided you have the necessary blobs.

Preparation
In order to re-restore your device you will need a copy of the version of IOS you with to restore to. In this example it is 5.1.1 for the iPhone4S.
You can download the files you need from our handy thread. Make sure you pick the right files for your specific device - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

Next, you need to download the latest version of redsn0w from the iPhone dev-team blog here - Dev-Team Blog
You will need at least version 0.9.15b1 or newer.

Let's Re-Restore!
1. Connect your iPhone to your PC and shut down iTunes, if it automatically launches.
2. Launch redsn0w on your computer and select the "Extras" option (Don't forget to run the executable as an "Administrator" if you are using a Windows PC)
rrr_01.png

3. Press the "Even More" button…
rrr_02.png

4. Press "Restore"…
rrr_03.png

5. Press "IPSW"
rrr_04.png

6. Select the firmware file you with to re-restore, which you downloaded when preparing for this tutorial…
rrr_05.png

7. If redsn0w cannot find your blobs automatically, use the "Local" or "Remote" buttons help identify them)
rrr_05_2.png

HEED THE WARNING ABOUT YOUR BASEBAND! Remember, don't do this if you rely on a software or hardware unlock solution unless you know you are safe to proceed!
rrr_06_2.png

8. Marvel as redsn0w works it's magic… :D
rrr_06.png

rrr_07.png

rrr_08.png

rrr_09.png

rrr_10.png

9. Congratulations! Your iPhone has now been re-restored to clean factory fresh IOS 5.1.1 (or whichever firmware you have chosen to re-restore with this method).
rrr_11.png

Optionally, if you also want to re-jailbreak the device...
10. Once you complete the setup Wizard on your iPhone, go back to the main menu on redsn0w, and press "Jailbreak"
rrr_12.png

11. A few seconds later you will have a freshly restored device with a clean new jailbreak :D
rrr_13.png

rrr_14.png

There you have it. Re-restoration on the iPhone4S!

Can you also downgrade using this?

Yes, that is how I understand it, reading it here as well as other sites. As long as you have the blobs for whatever version saved. In my case, I have 5.0, 5.1, 5.1.1 saved on Cydia... I can go back to any of the three. Although I am still not brave enough to install ios6 to find out yet. ;) Let the other guinea pigs have it first.

Yes, as the tutorial states in it...

This tutorial will demonstrate the re-restore of an iPhone4S from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1. The tool however will support the installation of ANY IOS 5.x firmware from ANY 5.x firmware version currently installed, provided you have the necessary blobs.

It will not downgrade from 6.0 however. That is only possible on the iPad2 IF you also have 4.x blobs. It is not possible for iPhone4S owners to have 4.x blobs.

:D

Last edited:
Tested the downgrade on the iPad 2 using 4.3.5 and 5.1.1 to downgrade from 6 to 5.1.1. Also tested the re-restore feature on the 4S. Probably misread it the first time from lack of sleep and screwed it up, but it working the second time

I've tried that too but stuck on 4.3.5 blobs. Tried Tinyumbrella to retrieve blobs but I only got 5.1 and 5.1.1 blobs. :(
Does anybody have clues for me? Please..any help greatly appreciated :D

I've tried that too but stuck on 4.3.5 blobs. Tried Tinyumbrella to retrieve blobs but I only got 5.1 and 5.1.1 blobs. :(
Does anybody have clues for me? Please..any help greatly appreciated :D

You can't do it without some form of iOS 4. :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

so anybody can try to send me their 4.3.5 blobs? I've tried to search it from google can't find any :'(

SHSH blobs are unique to each device. Its not as simple as copying and pasting it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

damm.. i bought my iphone 4s in second hand, i so.. i got the msg from redsnow that the current firmware has been updated by OTA :((( what a bad luck !! =/

cant re-restore it right now.. =/ i will wait for a solution, or even better, ios6 JB !

cheers ! good tutorial ;)

damm.. i bought my iphone 4s in second hand, i so.. i got the msg from redsnow that the current firmware has been updated by OTA :((( what a bad luck !! =/

cant re-restore it right now.. =/ i will wait for a solution, or even better, ios6 JB !

cheers ! good tutorial ;)

Thanks.

That's unlucky :(

Seems the best advice to everyone interested in the possibility of jailbreaking in the future is now to always avoid the OTA update method, just in case this jeopardises future downgrade / re-restore opportunities because of the way the APTicket is associated with the Blobs at restore time.

It seems the APticket flashed in the device cannot be re-used for this hack.
If the current Firmware was installed via an OTA update or at the factory, it APticket contains the wrong data for this to work.
your device should be kicked out of Recovery mode once you go back to the redsn0w main menu....

i got an iphone 4s 5.1.1 Jailbroken with absient, when i bought it was at 5.1.1 and i just jailbroke it and now want to restore it cuz it is getting supper slow... (many tweeks installed)... how should i proceed!!
thanks a lot

OH S***. I done the iOS 5.1.1 using OTA method....... :( what else can I do to re-restore my iPhone 4S from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 ??

I got my 4s from t-mobile uk with 5.1.1 already installed. Is there any way I can find out if I will be able to restore without actually trying it?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4s using Tapatalk