What's new

Turning off Cellular Data.

carterkl

Reaction score
I called apple earlier today to inquire about turning off all data/phone capabilities because I'm traveling into a different country and do not want to pay an arm and a leg for using my phone. I would leave it at home, but I need it with me in case of an emergency, but also too because it's good to pick up wifi at random spots in case I need something.

So my question is, when I turned off Data Roaming and Cellular roaming with WIFI ON, I can still surf the web because (I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong) it's now all defaulted to Wifi and not using any data. I can send SMS's and iMessages but not MSM. Is this correct?

And one other question. When I turn everything off, including the wifi, I'm still able to make and receive calls, just not text, etc. How is this even possible to receive and make a call if my phone is essentially off? Obviously if somebody called I wouldn't pick up (1.45$ a minute out of country) but I just want to make sure that my phone still isn't roaming and using data and whatnot.

When you're on airplane mode, all access to data is inactive unless you're on wifi. When you're on WIFI, apps like Whatsapp and TextFree will allow you to text using the wireless internet. SMS is still using the carriers network and you will not be able to do that on Airplane mode. MMS is the same thing.

When you turn off everything, nothing will work. Your phone will be like a Blackberry during their outage. No incoming, outgoing calls, texts or voicemail etc...If you're travelling outside of your carrier, it will be roaming/international/long distance. That will charge you an arm and a leg. Check your carrier website for more info.

Hope that helped. Cheers!

I am a NEWBIE to the iPhone 4S. (I never have owned a smartphone or even REALLY touched one. I did own a Samsung Impression A877 though.) I want to control the data plan usage plus understand how EXACTLY my iPhone4S works. I want to know what is considered data plan, what is possible with the wifi connected, what happens when I turn the CELLULAR DATA setting OFF etc. What happens when my CELLULAR DATA setting is OFF while I am connected to a wifi checking my email/surfing the web? I want to text message while connected a wifi. Is this possible and how much does will it cost and is there any free apps I can use for it?

Thanks in advance
stteng

P.S. I also would like to know how to get and use iPhone apps. I REALLY would like the free ones but if the paid one is EXCELLENT & reasonable priced I might consider paying for it. I have found out that some free stuff is EVEN BETTER than some PAID stuff.

Last edited:
stteng said:
I am a NEWBIE to the iPhone 4S. (I never have owned a smartphone or even REALLY touched one. I did own a Samsung Impression A877 though.) I want to control the data plan usage plus understand how EXACTLY my iPhone4S works. I want to know what is considered data plan, what is possible with the wifi connected, what happens when I turn the CELLULAR DATA setting OFF etc. What happens when my CELLULAR DATA setting is OFF while I am connected to a wifi checking my email/surfing the web? I want to text message while connected a wifi. Is this possible and how much does will it cost and is there any free apps I can use for it?

Thanks in advance
stteng

P.S. I also would like to know how to get and use iPhone apps. I REALLY would like the free ones but if the paid one is EXCELLENT & reasonable priced I might consider paying for it. I have found out that some free stuff is EVEN BETTER than some PAID stuff.

Texting dont use wifi or data

Go 2 the app store and download apps as u like. There, there are screenshots and reviews of each app. If the reviews are bad, don't buy it. When on wifi, u don't use any cellular data, therefore u won't be charged when on wifi. When u turn cellular data off, u can still call etc. but ur phone works as an iPod touch... U can only access the Internet via wifi.

Thanks in advance
stteng

Data plan comes with your sim card meaning you have mobile internet connection. everything you can do under a wifi connection is doable with your data plan except that your data plan can become expensive if you using a lot of data and exceeding your monthly quota, you should get in touch with your sim provider service for more information about the data service on your sim card. The data service on your sim card is also called 3g connection or edge connection. 3g connection is a faster connection which can quickly load webpages, quickly download applications etc, where by edge connection is a slower speed. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, you can chose to disable 3G connection in the settings of your iPhone if you prefer the EDGE connection.
when ever you are connected to internet via wifi, you are not making use of your data plan until you lose your wifi connection (Out of wifi range for example) then whatever activities you were making on the iPhone will use your data connection to continue if possible (Some applications require wifi only connection to work) You can go through the setting and set how you want your applications to get downloaded for example, either via wifi connection only, or wifi and 3g.
While being on a wifi connection you will be able to send and receive sms messages, these messages have nothing to do with your data plan, in fact, you can turn off wifi, and data plan and still be able to send and receive sms, in some countries sending sms are not free and in some countries it's free, so you can call your sim provider and get better information about the sms services on your sim card.
If the sms services is too expensive causing you to spend some extra money, you can make sure that most of your contacts are on some 3rd party internet data base application and you get the same application like them in order to be able to communicate freely with them, one of those application is Skype for example, Skype using your internet connection to allow you to communicate with your contacts, Whatsapp application is another great application from the app store which is multi platform, you might want to look into it, iMessage is Apple free messages application but work from Apple products to Apple products ONLY, so unless you contact have an iDevice or a Mac Computer with iMessage set up on them, you won't be able to be using iMessage.
Hope that helps a bit.