What's new

Traveling

darinr80

Reaction score
I had a question about traveling. We live in the USA and are traveling to Italy for a week, then going on a cruise to Turkey and Greece. I am not going to need to make phone calls but I will be using my iPhone 5 with Verizon for taking pictures, listening to music, using Evernote, and using some traveling apps. I'd like to text as well so I planned on putting the phone in airplane mode and leaving the wifi on. Then I can text via iMessage and using Talkatone to text non iOS devices. Is this the best idea?

If u put in the airplane mode, all modules(gsm,wifi,3g) all antenas would be off. So,its not gonna work. You can ask ur carrier to give u Data roaming barring, and use wifi when ever you can. Watch you phone in Turkey and Italy.

Beast from the East said:
If u put in the airplane mode, all modules(gsm,wifi,3g) all antenas would be off. So,its not gonna work. You can ask ur carrier to give u Data roaming barring, and use wifi when ever you can. Watch you phone in Turkey and Italy.

No you can put the phone into airplane mode and turn on wifi. I just did this and it works. Thanks for the heads up about watching my phone in those countries. Would anyone get violent there?

If you use data roaming, watch out for those data charges. The bill for downloading a movie can reach several thousand dollars, for example.

Beast from the East said:

Switching on airplane mode will turn off everything, including WiFi. The solution is to turn WiFi back on in settings. Here's a screenshot showing airplane mode and WiFi both on.

$image-3472976681.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that's what I was saying earlier. So, I think unless anyone has found a better idea, that's what I'll do; put it in airplane mode and turn on wifi.

No you can put the phone into airplane mode and turn on wifi. I just did this and it works. Thanks for the heads up about watching my phone in those countries. Would anyone get violent there?

Just keep your wits about you and you should be OK. There is an accepted level of thieving in both of those countries that you wouldn't believe. Avoid train travel. Don't have expensive equipment or large quantities of cash on show. Don't want to frighten you off, but just assume that wherever you are, there is already someone in the crowd that has marked you as a gullible foreigner, and has his hand halfway into your pocket. I speak from experience.

Thank you! I am going to be careful. I have a lot of offline maps on my iPhone we'll be using but if I catch anyone trying to take our stuff I will be on guard. Thanks again.