What's new

Transferring contacts from Android to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dude

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got a new iPhone 5, and I would like to migrate all of the information from my Motorola Defy (Android) phone to it.

I have looked online at some general advice, but I am particularly concerned about getting all of my contacts from the Motorola to the iPhone. I have a mixture of business contacts (through my Exchange Account), and personal contacts (primarily on my SIM card). I am not too concerned about the Business Contacts because Exchange hosts everything on a server (so I am confident that email contacts will migrate quite seamlessly) however I am a bit lost about how to make sure that my personal contacts don't get lost. Traditionally when upgrading from one phone to another I would simply copy all contacts to my SIM and then insert the SIM into my new phone and copy all contacts from the SIM (it didn't really matter if I had to change SIMS (or by extension phone numbers) because I simply used the SIM like a flashdrive to store data). Unfortunately I cannot use the "tried and true" SIM method because my Motorola uses a normal sized SIM whereas my iPhone 5 uses a Micro-SIM (so the Motorola SIM simply won't fit into the iPhone!).

I have had a couple of other thoughts regarding how to transfer contacts -

1). Sync all of my contacts to my Gmail account (required for Android phones - in order to access the PlayStore (equivalent of the iPhone Market))
2). Download an App for Android to save the contacts to a file on my SD Card, and then download the same App for my iPhone (and restore the contacts from file)

Are there any Apps available for both the Android and the iPhone from the same developer for transferring contacts between the two types of phones?

Any general advice on how to safely transfer all of my contacts and other information (Pictures, Texts, etc) will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Download Google Sync from app store and you can sync your contacts back to your iphone. I believe it costs $.99. I use it all the time as you can sync either way

You can also save your pictures to a file on your computer and then bring them over to iTunes to get them back on your new phone.

It's actually called Contacts sync for Google gmail. Sorry for not clarifying that.

EDIT: NVM I'm an idiot, somebody beat me to it.

Seems like a lot of steps but it is actually really really easy. Feels like it took me less than a minute lol.

Thanks for the great response, i was confused but now everthing is clear, Again thanks......

Thanks. This may help many users who want to switch phones.

I would Like to share some easy step to solve your issue
1. On your Android phone, open the “People” or “Contacts” app depending on the phone model.
2. Once having accessed your Android contacts, tap on the “Menu” button of your phone and tap “Import/Export”
3. Next, tap “Export to SD card”
4. This will save all of your Android contacts to a single vCard file within your phone’s storage
5. Tap OK and wait until the process of saving contacts completes
6. Once your Android contacts have been saved to a vCard file on your Android storage, connect your Android phone to your computer and if prompted on your phone, set your connection type to “Disk drive”
7. Your Android phone will now appear as a new drive within the “My Computer” section of your PC where all the rest of your PC drives are listed
8. Enter into your iPhone drive from within your PC. Among the rest of your Android phone system files and folders you will find a single vCard file
9. Now, download CopyTrans Contacts from the following page:
10. Install the program. If you need help installing CopyTrans Contacts, please refer to this article

11. Run CopyTrans Contacts and connect your iPhone. Once your iPhone data loads, click on the “Import Contacts” button, navigate to the location where the single vCard file containing your Android contacts was saved, and click “Open”
12. Your Android contacts will be imported to your iPhone
This is how to quickly transfer Android contacts to iPhone.

Feels like it took me less than a minute lol.
s7FFiA

Status
Not open for further replies.