What's new

Transfering Data

ix cykotic xi

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how i would be able to transfer ALL the things from my old iphone 3g to a 3gs. The phone is unlock and i would not like to update the software. Is there a way around this?

Old Iphone - 3g 8gig
New Iphone - 3gs 8gig
Both Phones are unlock

Thanks for any replies

You will need to post which firmware version the phones are running and the baseband version of the 3GS...

you could use itunes and just restore to a backup of the phone you want to transfer the files from

you could use itunes and just restore to a backup of the phone you want to transfer the files from

That would be the easiest way but he doesn't want to upgrade as the 3GS is unlocked...

He doesn't need to upgrade, he just need to perform a restore by chosing the backup he previous phone.
Backup phone A datasA into itunes,
connect phone B to itunes and restore datasA into phone B. No upgrade is involve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late updated.

Old Unlock Iphone: V.3.1.2, Firmware 05.11.07
New Unlock Iphone: V. 4.1, Firmware 06.15.00

Is there any other information i need to add please let me know thank you for all the help.. Ps. when i try to restore it wants to automatically wants to update to latest software and thats what i want to avoid.. i am really just looking to transfer music and photos sense i can do contacts by hand

I suppose that you have already backup your old phone using itunes. When you connect your new phone to itunes and highlight your iphone in the left panel in itunes, there should be a notification asking you to set the phone as a new phone, or set it as the old one, (itunes will display the name of your old iphone, suppose your old iphone name is ABCD itunes will ask you "set this phone as a new phone or set it as ABCD") chose to set it as ABDC, then it will ebable all the backup available for ABCD phone down the restore as "restore from a backup" clic restore from a backup and select the backup you want to restore from the drop list.

I suppose that you have already backup your old phone using itunes. When you connect your new phone to itunes and highlight your iphone in the left panel in itunes, there should be a notification asking you to set the phone as a new phone, or set it as the old one, (itunes will display the name of your old iphone, suppose your old iphone name is ABCD itunes will ask you "set this phone as a new phone or set it as ABCD") chose to set it as ABDC, then it will ebable all the backup available for ABCD phone down the restore as "restore from a backup" clic restore from a backup and select the backup you want to restore from the drop list.

Does that actually restore the phone? If it does it will force him to update. If he tries to update then he will get an error.

Is there any other information i need to add please let me know thank you for all the help.. Ps. when i try to restore it wants to automatically wants to update to latest software and thats what i want to avoid.. i am really just looking to transfer music and photos sense i can do contacts by hand

Your 3GS has the updated iPad baseband. Unless what bab is saying doesn't actually fully restore your phone you will have to create a custom ipsw using snowbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (mac). If you try to restore or upgrade via iTunes you will always get an error.

Does that actually restore the phone? If it does it will force him to update. If he tries to update then he will get an error.

Your 3GS has the updated iPad baseband. Unless what bab is saying doesn't actually fully restore your phone you will have to create a custom ipsw using snowbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (mac). If you try to restore or upgrade via iTunes you will always get an error.

It works just the way i've describe up there, after a fresh new upgrade, iTunes always ask to set phone as new or old, when you chose to set as old, it enable all the backups which are allowed to be restore into the freshed upgrade phone. Itune will not ask for another update for the device in the process.

^I get that when you restore you can choose to set up as new phone or restore from a backup. The point is though he can't just upgrade due to having the iPad baseband...