What's new

transfering contacts

Troubledcheech

Reaction score
hay guys,

i have a question about the icould. i wanted to transfter all my contacts to icloud and just keep it in one place but i can not find away to transfter all my contacts from yahoo to icould?

Troubledcheech said:
hay guys,

i have a question about the icould. i wanted to transfter all my contacts to icloud and just keep it in one place but i can not find away to transfter all my contacts from yahoo to icould?

If your contacts are on your phone. Go into iCloud and turn contacts off. A screen will pop asking if you would like to delete off of phone or keep on phone. Choose keep on phone and turn contacts back on. Check if they synced to iCloud at http://www.icloud.com

when i do this it says merge and then it says exchange contacts will not synce, which all of my contacts are exchaange.

To transfer your Yahoo contacts to your iCloud account on, follow these steps:

1. Login to Yahoo and export all your contacts to a CSV file for insurance purposes. If this goes wrong, you can reload them into Yahoo.
2. On your iphone or iPad, disable contact sync for both Yahoo and iCloud. When asked, elect to keep your contacts on the iPhone. This should only apply to iCloud contacts.
3. Open iTunes and connect your iphone.
4. You then need to change the contact sync settings to Yahoo AND at the bottom of the screen, check the transfer to iphone option.
5. Run a sync which will then put all your contacts on your iPhone.
6. When complete, in iTunes, remove the Yahoo contact sync option. Your contacts are now on you iphone and disconnected from Yahoo.
7. on the iphone, enable iCould contacts. This will push you contacts from the iphone to iCloud
8. Login to www.icloud.com using your Apple ID and confirm your contacts are synced to iCloud
9. You can then enable iCloud contacts on other devices such as your iPad and they will remain in sync.

Note: After you use iTunes to copy your contacts from Yahoo to your iPhone, you can also just enable iCloud contacts on the iphone after the sync while the phone is connected. This removes the 'sync to yahoo' iTunes config.

This works for iPhone 4 and iPad 2 running iTunes on Windows. I have verified this for a MAC platform but I believe it would work.

This approach may also work for moving your Google contacts.