What's new

Transfering Android Contacts to the iPhone Quick Guide

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score

We know there are a ton of folks out there who will be jumping ship from Android to try out the amazing new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Besides having larger displays, the iPhone now has a ton of incredible new features. For all of the new (or returning) iPhone users, we know that one of the first things you will need to do is get your Android contacts over to your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.

We wanted to make that easier for you, so we have included a quick tutorial on the process. We even found a video which helps walk you through the process. The video is an older one, but most of the steps should be nearly identical. If you run into problems, be sure to ask for help in the forums. That's one of the big reasons why iPhoneforums.net is here!

These are the quick steps to transfer FROM an Android to iPhone:

Step 1 - Copy/Sync your contacts on your existing phone with Gmail/Google Sync
  1. Go to Google Sync
  2. Select your device from the Google Sync setup instructions menu and follow the steps to sync/move your contacts
  3. Confirm all of your contacts have been sync'd by visiting Gmail on the web, and then continue to the next step
Step 2 - Use iTunes to sync your Gmail/Google contacts to your new iPhone
  1. Open iTunes
  2. Connect your iPhone to your Mac / PC
  3. Select your iPhone from your device list of iTunes
  4. In the 'Summary tab' - If you're using 'iCloud' to sync & backup change to 'Use your computer'
  5. Click the 'Info' tab
  6. From the 'Sync contacts with...' options:
    - Select Sync Google Address Book (Mac) or Google Contacts (PC) and sign in.
  7. Click the 'Configure' button
  8. Enter your Google / Gmail username and password
  9. Click OK
  10. Sync your iPhone

Since iphone and android use different os, i think it's very convenient to use a mobile transfer app to transfer contacts between android and iphone, you should connect the two devices to computer via the usb cable and start the app to transfer data between them.

I've transferred my own data from Android to iPhone, and helped moving from two other Android phones to iPhone. When you use an app, it's not necessary to connect the phones to the computer.