What's new

Transfer

dengirl

Reaction score
My husband is due for a phone upgrade and it says by his number he can transfer. What does this mean? Can he transfer his upgrade to my number?

My husband is due for a phone upgrade and it says by his number he can transfer. What does this mean? Can he transfer his upgrade to my number?

I can only speak to this as a Verizon customer. When VZW shows that status and web link, that is exactly what it means. You can transfer any upgrade from one number to another. I currently have 8 devices with 3 available for upgrade, so it will make life really easy when I upgrade the primary phones to iPhone 5s.

Skull One said:
I can only speak to this as a Verizon customer. When VZW shows that status and web link, that is exactly what it means. You can transfer any upgrade from one number to another. I currently have 8 devices with 3 available for upgrade, so it will make life really easy when I upgrade the primary phones to iPhone 5s.

Sweet! I want to get the 5 on my line but I am not due for an upgrade so I was hoping my husbands upgrade meant I could use if if he switched it to my line

Sweet! I want to get the 5 on my line but I am not due for an upgrade so I was hoping my husbands upgrade meant I could use if if he switched it to my line

Just remember, it is a true transfer. That means his date will change to your current one. Hopefully he doesn't spot a phone he wants before that date. :)

Skull One said:
Just remember, it is a true transfer. That means his date will change to your current one. Hopefully he doesn't spot a phone he wants before that date. :)

If he transfers his upgrade to me. Then his data plan will switch to mine as well? What happens to my stuff now I'm confused haha

dengirl said:
If he transfers his upgrade to me. Then his data plan will switch to mine as well? What happens to my stuff now I'm confused haha

Oh u said date not data.

Actually you bring up a VERY good question. If both of your phones are currently on an unlimited data plan and you use the transfer feature to buy the phone at the subsidized price, VZW will transfer both phones from your unlimited plan to a Family Shared data plan.

@dengirl you have a very understanding husband... ;)

Skull One said:
Actually you bring up a VERY good question. If both of your phones are currently on an unlimited data plan and you use the transfer feature to buy the phone at the subsidized price, VZW will transfer both phones from your unlimited plan to a Family Shared data plan.

Ok I think I'm understanding. Thanks

Bula said:
@dengirl you have a very understanding husband... ;)

I have a very understanding husband. He don't like fancy phones. He's just into the calling feature so he don't mind my using his upgrade yet he knows I want the five real bad and he can care less about smart phones haha

The only thing that stays independent is the number, you can always switch the phones and plans between numbers. The phone numbers are the highest in the hierarchy. If both numbers have an unlimited plan, if you directly call a representative and have them do the switch-a-roo, they can retain the plan as opposed to what Skull One said but only if the representative knows what he's doing.

The only thing that stays independent is the number, you can always switch the phones and plans between numbers. The phone numbers are the highest in the hierarchy. If both numbers have an unlimited plan, if you directly call a representative and have them do the switch-a-roo, they can retain the plan as opposed to what Skull One said but only if the representative knows what he's doing.

If you buy a phone at the subsidized price and the contract is setup as a legacy unlimited plan, you will have to switch to a Shared Data plan. That is how their current contract terms are written as of June 28th 2012. If you are on a metered plan with a single line contract, then Verizon has discretionary oversight to keep you on that plan versus switching you to the Shared Data plan.

Skull One said:
If you buy a phone at the subsidized price and the contract is setup as a legacy unlimited plan, you will have to switch to a Shared Data plan. That is how their current contract terms are written as of June 28th 2012. If you are on a metered plan with a single line contract, then Verizon has discretionary oversight to keep you on that plan versus switching you to the Shared Data plan.

I'm on the unlimited he is not but he don't have a smartphone so it's ok. I'm fine with losing my unlimited because I use most data on wifi so I'm not losing much